Switching to DSL ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeN, Jan 13, 2006.

1. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

How about some opinions on this: I'll be switching from dialup to dsl in about 3 weeks (verizon has set the ready date back again :rolleyes:), should I try to reset the "TCP/IP" and "Dialup adapter" settings back to their DEFAULT settings - is this really necessary ?? I've been using Speed Guides TCP Optimizer for quite some time, and have made many tweaks to both of these, I know there is a backup function for the new version but most changes were made with the old version, I always backed up the Registery before changes were made but I never saved the backups very long once I knew things were running ok - I'm running win 98se, the ADSL will be running thru a D-Link Ethernet card and Westell 6100 modem/router supplied by Verizon -

2. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

If this is posted in the wrong forum can a Moderator please move it to the correct one -

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

You can leave the dialup as is.

When you install a network card, a second Network Connection with TCP/IP binding would be installed. You would need to use TCP Optimizer to configure the new TCP/IP stack.

The authentication should be set in the Router.

This is the principle, might be that since Verizon is given you a router the instructions would specific to your new Router.

Link to: DSL Routers and PPPOE.

:cool:

4. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Thanks Cat5e, I was really hoping that would be the case - the link was very helpful also -

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds