wireless usb adapter help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-125cdb8a9b, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Anon-125cdb8a9b Anonymized

I just got a new pc and so i want to connect it to the internet wirelessly, this is my first time going wireless and im getting confused already...

I was looking on amazon at some wireless adapters but i got confused when i saw things like :802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11, 54mbps and 108mbps.

Could someone help me out with these above terms so i know what im looking for.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

1) Go for 802.11g (wireless g)
    This is because although one gadget on your network (your new pc?) may well do other things 'g' is the most prevalent and if you add, say a printer or a laptop, you will want compatibility.

All the other 802 letters you mention are older variations n is newer but not well implemented.
    Basic 'g' is 54Mbps (mega bits per second) which is adequate for most people and certainly for the internet.
    Enhanced 'g' or other advertising names is 'up to' 108Mbps. But your receiver and transmitter have to be from the same stable to achieve this.

2) You don't say what sort of pc or broadband source you have so it is diffucult to advise

3. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

I recommend 802.11g and make sure the wireless router you buy (assuming you are buying one) matches or exceeds the speed of the adapter you buy.

4. Anon-125cdb8a9b

I already have a linksys router (802.11g), which has wireless capabilities.

My PC has Vista Ultimate, and runs on a amd processor,(not sure if this helps studiot). My broadband is supplied by ntl, which now i think is virgin.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You must look for a wireless card that is Vista compatible - many are not.

Presumably your Linksys is compatible with Virgin so there is nothing to advise there.

If your pc is stashed away in a corner get a wireless card or adapter that has a raised antenna rather than one hidden at the back of the pc. Likewise raise your Linksys as high as possible.

6. Anon-125cdb8a9b

will any brand of usb adapter be able to connect with my linksys router or will i have to look for an adapter thats made by linksys?

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yes any brand so long as it is also 'wireless g'

Bear also in mind the positional points already made.

I usually recommend Netgear.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_networkcards_standard.php

The usb WG111 and PCI card WG311 are about £20. These will cover most normal domestic situations.

If you have stone walls or other location difficulties go for the WN 311T this has an antenna extension but is more expensive at about £50

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds