Vista Security Center and Removing Trend Micro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mass Monster, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Mass Monster

Mass Monster Private E-2

Hi,

This is my first post and I am not that computer literate, so this may be a dumb question. I did try searching first but didn't find anything.
    My problem is that Security Center in Vista still shows Trend Micro PC-cillin as being on and operating in the Firewall, AntiVirus, and Antispyware even though I have uninstalled it via the ADD/REMOVE Programs in the Control Panel. I am using PC-TOOLS Firewall Plus and Spy Doctor and Avast! with the A^2 addition. I had Trend-Micro because it was preinstalled by Dell, but the trial period ended. There doesn't seem to be a trace of Trend on the computer, but the Security Center thinks it is still there. Anyone know how to make Security Center understand that it isn't there?

Thanks

2. jmilligan

jmilligan Private E-2

i am having the same problem please help

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you fully unnistalled Trend from your PC? if there is still a TREND folder in Programs Files, open it and look for TAVToole.exe and run that to fully uninstall Trend.

If that is not still on the PC then the below may work as the WMI ( Windows Managment Instrumentation ) files are not reflecting the change so you can delete and reset them, however is your issue is not as listed above this can cause other issues, so do confirm your issue and software is indeed the same as above.

But before deleting try this, click Start and in the Start Search box type cmd and when its in the search list right click it and choose run as admininstrator, then type or cut and paste the below

winmgmt /verifyrepository

if you get a message like this "WMI repository is not consistent" then run the below command

winmgmt /salvagerepository ( may have and I would run this command about 3 or 4 times for it to work )

Run this tool Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and delete anything Trend

Then deleting the WMI repository is the way to go, again run cmd from an elevated position so right click it and run as administrator ( if you do not run in admin mode, the commands will not work )

at the cmd prompt type the following in order and press enter after each one,

• net stop winmgmt
    • cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
    • ren repository repository.old
    • net start winmgmt

may take a few moments to rebuild the database, and then reboot and re-open the Security Center

4. John Barker

John Barker Private E-2

I really want to thank you for providing the help that you do.

I have just purchased Kaspersky Internet Security Version 7.0, which has the option to upgrade free to Version 2009.

Try as I may I just could not complete the installation due to having previously installed Trend Micro and whatever I did I could not completely remove it and was getting more and more frustrated.

I did a search on Google and luckily I found your site and following your instructions I did manage to remove Trend Micro and then install Kaspersky. Version 2009.

Without your help I just don't know what I would have done and my computer would probably been thrown out of the window!

Thank you again for providing this sort of information, it is truly appreciated.

Best wishes,

John Barker:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds