Hard Disk Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2eq, Sep 30, 2004.

1. 2eq

2eq Private E-2

Sorry to put another computer question up on the board, but I know you guys are a clever bunch...

Ive recently installed a 200Gb hard drive in my computer to run 'piggy-backed' off my existing 160Gb drive (Master with a slave)

Now its working fine in so much as accessing each drive. But when I use my computer in a day-to-day manner i've noticed that it is considerably slower.

Now i've checked on www.pcpitstop.com (which I use for dignostic checks) and it's saying that my ORIGINAL drive C: (which is obviously my boot drive) is running at 3MB per second, instead of the 38MB per second that it should be!

Has anybody had the same problem and/or do you know what settings I need to be looking at in which to pick up the speed back to it's normall rate? Or put another way how can I see what is causing this?

Many thanks for your time. David.

2. 2eq

2eq Private E-2

I should also point out that I have also just ran the dignostic check with the second HD disconected and I got the same result. So this seems like it's a problem with the first HD in it's self.

Any help would be great.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if you remove the drive does the speed return to normal?

4. 2eq

2eq Private E-2

No it doesnt, it stays at the 3MB a sec.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you're using the 80 conductor cable ?
    checked the POST to see if the drive is enabled for ATA 133 etc?

Checked the device manager for the same?
    Changed the cable?

6. 2eq

2eq Private E-2

You will have to forgive my ignorance mate...

80 conductor cable? I'm using the bay that sits next to the existing HD and its connected to it in the master-slave style.

Checked the POST to see if the drive is enabled for ATA 133 etc? How do I do that?

Sorry about this, it's just that I have limited knowledge in this side of computers.

Cheers.

7. 2eq

2eq Private E-2

By the way my computer is about 18 months old and it was top of the range when it was bought. SONY PCV-RZ221.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

80 conductor cable is the cable that has a blue terminal on one end . The blue end MUST be plugged into the IDE channel on the motherboard.

During boot up, you may see the POST which lists system information and status just before is passes off to load the operating system. You can just as easily tell what mode your drive is in by viewiing the settings tab of the IDE channel in the device manager.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds