how to remove vid card panel emachines el1850

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jul 4, 2012.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

guys I'm baffled by the card slot panels on the back of a emachines eL1850 small form desktop. have any of you done this before?
    There are a couple of screws there but that's not what is holding the filler panels. I don't know if I'm supposed to punch them out or if there is a trick to freeing them. looked at it closely and cannot discern.
    I don't want to bend things up there because the case 'back' right in that area is thin and if I damage it, it will be hard to get looking right again.
    the system is essentially new.

thx
    z

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If it is just a stamped back, you just need a pair of needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver to turn the plate, so that you can remove it.

3. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

i never had an e machines pc, but if they follow other pc makers their should be some screws on the back holding the panels in place.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Not all use screws, most are just stamped cases, and you just have to twist out the plate that is left in there.

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

The PSU on the el1850 is 220W. I do not know what you plan on adding. If it is a video card, I am not sure if 220W would be sufficient. brownizs would have a better answer than me.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

No, it would not handle a high end add-on vid card as you suspect tgell. Doubt they could get a larger video card for that case, that could handle anything great. Might be able to do a 256mb or 512mb low to med end card.

7. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

i think I'll just stick this one on fleabay unmolested. those panels are on there pretty tight and its not one I'd use for much of interest. my e-350 thinkpad will outgun it even with one of those low-power cards [except for calcs/s]

it sure looks like desktop market is imploding at an accelerating pace. only special-purpose sales will remain in a couple of years

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

zapp, desktops are not go anywhere, so do not know where you think that the desktop market is going to all of a sudden collapse this year. The machine you have will do Internet browsing, run Office, etc.. Matter of fact, it would have no problem running a Linux distro, or even be used as a Linux Server.

9. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

ah - I was speaking in broad market terms. spent a couple of careers in Product Management in the PC patch so its in my DNA at this point.
    in product planning terms, its history. already, even in modest sized firms/corporations/bureaus/etc, much of the worker-work that was done on networked desktop PC workstations is now diffusing to handsets and tablets and to some extent personal notebooks [also going south but less clear].
    Ballmer knows it, Michael Dell knows it, Intel's oligarchy knows it... note Ballmer's retort to the PC makers when he was doing the 'Surface' launch: he basically said they need to respond to the hurdle bar MS is throwing down with Surface, "if they still want to have an industry" in a few years.

sure, one can still buy desktops 10 years from now, but as a profitable line, they will go the way of workstations. the rank & file workers will be using something other, and those number in the billions, worldwide.

but that's another thread :-D

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, no work is not going to smartphones or tablets. Please quit spreading FUD to the masses. And yes, ten years from now, there will still be desktops with mice & keyboards attached in the workplace. The method of deliver may be different, in that Thinnet may actually take off by then, but you will still find a flatscreen, keyboard, mouse, and a box in some form or another with the three devices connected to it.

I would never do my job on a tablet, nor a flatscreen, because of the nature of the job, so where ever you dreamt up this fiasco, you need to put it to bed in the back of your mind, where it belongs.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

And BTW, Dell is a idiot, along with Ballmer.

12. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yep. CGI, CAD, and Accounting, just to mention a few. Not going to happen on a tablet or smartphone. Can you imagine a student doing his term paper on a tablet with a 10" screen?

13. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

and the earth is still flat

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/24/business/la-fi-hp-layoffs-20120524

"The company has seen customer demand for its PCs plummet in favor of tablets and smartphones made by Apple Inc. and other competitors"

27000 without jobs is a lotta pc folk. This is what Ballmer was speaking of, in part. Tip of the 'berg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18732714
    "Samsung Electronics has said that it expects its profits to surge 79% in the second quarter as sales of its smartphones continue to grow."

heck, I know people who still argue that working from a command prompt is way faster than fooling with GUI's

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

zapp, does not mean anything. Does not mean that desktops are going to disappear from the workplace, or even the home. Just means that more people are adopting a more portable method while on the go, but when it all comes down to it, you will still see desktops being sold for a really long time.

Again, stop spreading FUD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds