Email of the week (or a day in the life of explaining software to "computer techs"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Major Attitude, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

----- Original Message -----
    To: tim@major......com
    Cc: beverett16@......com
    Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:51 AM
    Subject: BHODemon 2.0 is a dead horse now no software updates or support

You might want to remove this program from you free software download list.. This is what I found when I went to the help section because I could not update the program. here is a copy of the letter I sent to the Definitive Software Company. High lighted in red is the first thing you will see when you go the site..

To whom it may concern. Your Program is a joke.. With all the hoopla from Microsoft Promoting your software tool. and recommending it as a choice download for windows Vista.. Really makes Microsoft look like a fool.. Your program has no updates and you can not download the bhotb-all.html BHO list to make the program work... everything is open on my Vista ultimate to receive the updates from your so called server and guess what? Your server is not running anymore. This is what I found when I went to the help section because I could not download the updated (bhotb-all.html BHO list) and the website is still on the net but website is actually dead and they are still looking for PAY Pal donations..
    You will find the current link down at the bottom in the PS section where I told the webmaster of definitive Software solutions that they should remove the webpage.. I am contacting you because Major Geeks is a reputable company and website and I am sure that you do not want to mislead your clientele into downloading a program that does not work and the company no longer supports it's own software here is the site http://www.definitivesolutions,com/bhodemon.htm My company has had a lot of complaints that customers could not download updates for the free BHODemon 2.0 just this last week Microsoft and other companies listed this program as a good program for downloading to protect your system from BHO's , Yes it was a good program as I had used it in the past.. and I myself was recommending it to my customers and friends to use to protect their computer systems.. Yours Bruce Everett, Pres., Ever Net Digital Inc.
    I am very sorry, but BHODemon is currently on hiatus, as I no longer have the time to devote to it (due to a house fire). You will not be able to download updates or upload reports, and I will no longer be answering emails. At some point, BHODemon may return. I would like to thank everyone for their support over the years.
    So what gives? False Advertising? I am forwarding a copy of this email to Microsoft and All the other major software companies that are talking up your software and telling everyone to download it. Definitive Software solutions is a joke.. Sorry you had a house fire. But that should not let you stop supplying support when you can.. I build Specialty computer systems for people and also do software developing.. and Last June 24 2008 I lost my Dad to Cancer but my life did not stop.. Know why? Cause I also owe a commitment to my customers and the work they need to have done on systems and software to be built and written and to my employees. Companies can not afford down time. And I also have a family to support too... Yours, Bruce Everett, President of Ever Net Digital.

P.S. webmaster of Definitive Software solutions you should remove the Definitive Webpage at this address http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm and notify your Sponsors and PayPal that you are no longer maintaining the software.. And that there are no more software updates.. And asking for donations thru PayPal is illegal now since there is no support or updates what so ever for the BHO demon 2.0 I am also forwarding a CC to my company departments to remove all the flyers about your free software downloads that we enclose along with other free software developers downloads from our products.

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Re: Email of the week (or a day in the life of explaining software to "computer techs

Wow...that dude needs to find him another bubble to live in!! He sounds like one of those that gets bent out of shape if the mail comes later than usual!! I had a boss like that one time...thank goodness I don't anymore!!

3. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Re: Email of the week (or a day in the life of explaining software to "computer techs

Nothing worse than a control freak that loses a tiny bit of control over a tiny bit of his life, and can't handle it. So he's all bent-up that a freeware program has temporarily not been able to be updated because the guy has dared to let his house burn down. Like you say - bet he's charging to install and use the freeware.

How about him saying, "My deepest condolences. Please accept this donation in recognition for all your free time and effort over the years in this program." ~ Nah, that might be a bit human. rolleyes

4. Major Attitude

Well put.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It seems since we have access to so many things anonymously, via the internet, we have, as a group lost those human qualities of compassion, morality, and just plain common sense.
    What a jerk!

@rog, My mail is going to be late? :tas
    LOL

6. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Great reply to a pathetic email :) Can't stand it when people don't think before they open their mouths.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Well what do you know?

I know that the President of Ever Net Digital can't spell correctly.

I found this out by clicking on the link provided in his screed. I also found I had to edit the spelling in order to arrive at any website at all.

So some freeware that has clearly done considerable good has gone out of date. So what?

Some VEW (very expensive ware) that has done considerable .... has gone out of date. I refer, of course to Windows 98, although I could have chosen many other examples.

Have a nice day Bruce.

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Try putting Ever Net Digital in a search engine .....:-D

9. Major Attitude

Really, people, stop misrepresenting yourself, that is 1998 crap, when you could get away with it before advancements in search engines. This guys got no flyers, no departments and probably works from his garage, for good reason. I also found it personally offensive that he made a false accusation about it being illegal to ask for donations, which is untrue. Worst of all, the BHODemon guy donated EVERYTHING and is being attacked by this wannabe when he is no longer able to DONATE his time.

This guy is living in a self made world for this situation, has gone overboard and needs to take a step back and chill out.

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Wow, what a tool! Some people really need a dose of reality.

I thought most Freeware was for private use only. Wouldn't selling it be illegal?

E

11. Major Attitude

I don't think he was "selling" it, so no not even close. What he did was provide it installed and possibly used it as a selling point. Ive been down this road (its similar to what we do) and it is a fine line. Now, hes pissed because an app he chose for free is no longer supported and he is taking the phone calls from his customers. This is why big companies bundle Norton, Mcafee and the likes. they are large, established companies. Everyone makes money, you tell the customer he had protection installed and everyone is "safe". This guy tried to do it via all freeware. There is a reason Majorgeeks is not ALL freeware.

12. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

You mean the thing where Google can't find it no matter how many pages deep into the search? :-D (I did finally find it after removing the space between Ever and Net...if that's the business he's running, he should take a long look in the mirror before saying anything about anyone.)

I'm trying to figure out how exactly asking for donations (via PayPal or any other means) is illegal. Demanding "donations" is illegal, yes. But that's not what he was doing. Gods forbid someone should try to get a little compensation for providing a HUGE service. Dumbass.

And for a guy who apparently runs his own "business" out of his garage, I have to wonder how much support he'd be providing his customers if HE had a house fire. Of course, after looking at the website, I would venture to guess that the majority of his customers buy what goods they don't get from him on HSN. rolleyes

13. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

I still can't find it even without the space. This guy is a prime example of someone I would never do busines with. He's probably is a horrible to customers he gets annoyed with...

14. Dan M

Dan M Private E-2

15. nicknicknickandnick

nicknicknickandnick Private E-2

Your profile has no Contact Info tab and so I can't privately contact you. I'd like a copy of your bhotb-all.html file, though. If you somehow read this, I'd like to hear back. Or does anyone else have a file as recent?

16. Dan M

Dan M Private E-2

The email offer was made to Tim, who has now added it to the BHODemon download zip along with an instructional readme.txt. Just search for BHODemon, select the download page, download the zip file and you will have the bhotb-all.html file. It is the 3/14/08 version (the last I'd downloaded before it became unavailable) despite the later date stamp on the zip-file copy.

17. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

Some people just need a kick in the... uhh, well, you know. LOL

18. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hey whats the guy whining about, i reckon 99.9% of people have free stuff on their pc's but if it goes caput or is no longer available you find something different to use.
    I think this guy has a big problem not with others but with himself, in my world free is free and don't refuse it and if your supply dries up don't whinge or moan.
    I'd bet my bottom dollar he was charging his customers for it aswell giving them some kind of cock 'n' bull story that he works hard to get these thing's sorted, i've met guts like him before, and usually they're full of BS and up their own rear ends and thats where they should stay

19. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I think this thread is from last year anyway.... Yes, Aimee, I think you are right about the kick in the LOL !

20. TimW

Yes, the thread is from almost a year ago. As such, it needs to die a good death and be left alone. :major

21. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

If its a year old who dug it back up again !:confused

22. TimW

Sigh.......I guess I was too subtle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds