annoying problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by harris24982, Oct 4, 2008.

1. harris24982

harris24982 Private First Class

Hi i dont know if this is the right section but my sister is having a problem with her pc

for the last couple of weeks she hasn't been able to use the keyboard (regular or on screen) because when she hits some keys they open things on the computer, my documents the xp search funtion ect, any ideas what it could be and how to stop it?

thanks

2. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

Have you tried another keyboard? It sounds like the Windows key may be sticking (opening the on-screen keyboard does not disable the main keyboard). Also rule out malware by running a/v and a/s scans. Did she perhaps install a hot key program?

3. harris24982

harris24982 Private First Class

no i haven't tried a new keyboard,

i didn't realize the onscreen keyboard didn't disable the normal one. i'll give that a try tonight,

no she wont have installed anything the computer isn't hooked up to the internet

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah... lame, huh... you'd think it would disable the normal keyboard, and it should disable the regular keyboard, but it doesn't. Trying a different keyboard is solid advice, but know this: if you plug in a PS2 keyboard with the PC powered on, it will NOT work (no matter what) and may short the motherboard keyboard controller. So, always plug in PS2 keyboards with PC completely turned off; it doesn't need to be unplugged, just turned off. You can plug in USB keyboards with the PC turned on and running Windows without issues....

5. TechnoFeeb

TechnoFeeb Private E-2

I've seen the same thing happen if numlock is on (if it's a laptop). Turning numlocks off resolved the issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds