Freemake Video Converter is a VIRUS!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spartan, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Private First Class

I have always downloaded quality programs from MajorGeeks but it disappoints me that they don't notice such crappy programs like Freemake Video Converter which is constantly posted on the main page for people to download.

After running the initial setup and when it downloads the full installer, the installer is immediately blocked by Eset Smart Security! Thank god I have a good security suite!

I kindly request the admin to remove this stupid converter from the Majorgeeks downloads as it will spoil your image!

[​IMG]

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I like ESET but this might be a false positive since you are the first to report a problem like that that I know of. I'm sure MA will check it out.:)

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I highly doubt it's anything, just a false detection.

There are plenty of malware experts round here who will probably come and give you a better explanation.

4. Spartan

I sure do hope it is. Because I have rarely if EVEr gotten a false positive from Eset,. I actually find Eset to be pretty good with not detecting legit stuff as False positives.....

Anyway, that program could be really bad if one doesn't uncheck all the toolbars bundled and allows it to install itself as a plugin in Firefox and Chrome + having it as a home page. I hate it when developers spoil good software with bloated crap

5. augiedoggie

That's new IIRC, I mean the toolbars as I haven't used it in quite while.

As long as it remains free and being able to opt-out from toolbars then it's fine by me though I'd rather see opt-in but such is life. The developer should be able to make some money for their time honestly.

6. jimsing59

jimsing59 Private E-2

I have tried to use Freemake with Windows 8 Developer Preview and it crashes every time. I contacted Freemake twice regarding this issue and they don't seem to be interested at all in making Freemake Video Converter compatible with Windows 8. Their response was that Windows 8 is a pre pre-beta and it is unstable. This is wrong. It is a pre-beta build, not a pre pre-beta and it is stable and works find with every other program that I have installed. Stay away from this software.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  7. augiedoggie

LOL, why should they make it compatible with W8 developer preview when it was just recently made available? This is where 'developers' use this as a starting point to make their drivers and software compatible with W8?

This should have never been leaked as people expect something that people are currently coding. Give the developers a break and use the W8 beta if and when it ever is made available, developer's previews are for those that have to write code for their products, it's not for the casual user.

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I suggest you take any of those files that Eset hit on and upload to Virustotal.

9. Spartan

no chance

here is what happens...

When I download Free Make Video Converter, it is fine, no virus inside it, but that is not the actual installer. once you run it, it starts downloading the real setup file which is much bigger in size than the one posted on their website and on MG.

After all the files are downloaded, ESS pops up a message that it has detected a virus and it quarantines/denies access to the file

anyway, ill just find an alternative rather than messing with it

but just wanted to give the admins a heads up

maybe you could try this when you have time and actually download the installer and run it, bear in mind that I did opt ouf installing the toolbars but still..

10. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

The Free Video Converter setup file you had cames bundled with Zugo Toolbar -- which ESET reports as a potentially unwanted program.

Toolbars are unnecessary that's why ESET and other companies notify you that you may not want this toolbar. If you do not want it, you can uncheck the option to uninstall it.

The latest version of Freemake Video Converter posted today offers to install a toolbar called "Facemoods".

Facemoods is another one of those potentially unwanted programs which some Antivirus programs may detect.

For now it's not detected:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan...5a9700c6bb08812b53c4bace4412f2e299-1325365626

11. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I love how people start with "you have always trusted us" after 12+ years in the business but you get a false positive and immediately point a finger? WTF? Eset is sending a false positive based on toolbar.

Problem here is MANY companies bundle toolbars or something now, sadly this is the norm. We have started adding notes to programs and I will do so now with all of the Freemake software. Sadly, most don't ever read it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  12. Major Attitude

All good here.

There are some plugins and stuff to uncheck, I unchecked everything.

Attached Files:

13. jimsing59

jimsing59 Private E-2

It's a good point that Windows 8 isn't ready for the casual user but lets talk about Freemake Firefox plugin. It cannot be moved or customized like the other addons in Firefox therefore it shouldn't have a Firefox plugin. It is fine for Google Chrome though. I got so tired of looking at that big ugly button in the right corner that I had to disable it. I recommend Format Factory and for downloading music, MP3 Rocket, unless you're one of those who support SOPA. Also, am I going to be a Private E-2 forever? I think I deserve a promotion!

14. jimsing59

jimsing59 Private E-2

I am afraid that when Windows 8 beta comes out, Freemake still won't work and I don't want to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 8. If what you read doesn't turn you off download Freemake. Let me warn you that they will beg for donations along with the bundled toolbars. I think that freeware should bundle toolbars or have nag screens but not both.

15. jimsing59

jimsing59 Private E-2

Correction: I made a mistake talking about the nag screen but waited too long to edit it.
    It was FastStone Image Viewer with the nag screen. Freemake sells Freemake merchandise for support therefore have no reason to bundle toolbars and etc.

16. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I sent pms to Jim about the sites at the bottom of the tools pages -http://www.majorgeeks.com/KinyonSoft_WinToolsXP_d5482.html, which are said to be attack sites by Web of Trust and Firefox.
    Are these false positives?

17. Major Attitude

Yes, we know that author personally.

18. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

19. Major Attitude

It is basically a link site. We link to them, they return the traffic. I have visited many of the sites they link to without a problem although some popup ads. The problem with Wot or any tool that lets the user tell you what is safe and what is not leads you to be told things are bad, like the original poster here, when he is incorrect.

20. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Your'e right.
    These are all saying that they are dangerous,but the Mod says thy are safe.

Attached Files:

21. Major Attitude

Going to an outside risk is always a problem so use your jedgement, it beats WOT and automated protection anytime!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds