I need help with my audio driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by jordanquilca, May 6, 2012.

1. jordanquilca

jordanquilca Private E-2

i have a emachine desktop computer model number T2862
    i installed windows xp service pack 3 and i dont have audio.
    i try installing realtek ac'97 but it just restarts my computer before the installation is completed. when my computer boots up it shows an error in my desktop saying windows has encounter an error. could someone give me a link to where and which driver do i need. or what should i do. im lost

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. jordanquilca

jordanquilca Private E-2

yeah that's the driver i try installing i even deleted all my sound drivers in safe mode but failed because when it booted up it got to my desktop then it just restarted.
    i downloaded it from the realtek website not Intel download server here are my specs

Mainboard : Unspecified Unspecified
    Chipset : Intel i845G
    Processor : Intel Celeron D 330 @ 2666MHz
    Physical Memory : 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR-SDRAM )
    Video Card : Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    Hard Disk : Western Digital WD600BB-22JHA0 (60GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B
    Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 22 inches
    Network Card : 3COM 3C905B Fast Etherlink XL 10/100
    Network Card : Ralink Technology RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
    Network Card : Intel 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)
    DirectX : Version 9.0c
    Device Audio : Gateway 2000 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller

and on device manager multimedia audio controller has an exclamation mark and so does pci simple communication controller..

please help i don't have sound.

4. tgell

Try installing the chipset driver first. If you still do not have sound do the following.

Sometimes the intel drivers are slightly different. Try downloading DriverSweeper. It needs .NET 3.0 Uninstall your realtek drivers in ADD/Remove programs. Then in safe mode run DriverSweeper and check anything related to Realtek Audio. Then install the intel drivers.

Edit: I believe the pci simple communication device is your modem.

5. jordanquilca

jordanquilca Private E-2

what if i dont see no realtek programs in add/remove program list? should i just go ahead and proceed with deleting anything related to realtek using driversweeper? then install the link you gave me for realtek?

and i did install the chipset driver and i still have no sound.

6. tgell

Yes, but make sure it is only the Realtek sound you are deleting.

7. jordanquilca

jordanquilca Private E-2

i tried tgell way and it seems like when i deleted realtek using driver sweeper and i installed the link you gave me it just restarted my PC i don't know if i did do it right since i still see the drivers below sound, video, and controllers. and multimedia audio controller still has a exclamation mark even after trying to remove them with driversweeper. and i try installing the realtek from Intel and after it extracted itself into my desktop i ran the setup.exe and it just simply restarted my PC w.o even finishing the installation. and @gloozit the link don't work i try looking for the downloads myself but cant find a trusty source. should i just format my computer again with windows xp sp3? and if so whats the best program or way to get my drivers working correctly especially the audio one.

8. tgell

On the multimedia audio controller with the yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager, right click properties and under the details tab provide the Vendor and Device ID.

[​IMG]

9. jordanquilca

jordanquilca Private E-2

Device instance ID
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_2010107B&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&FD

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  10. tgell

Download this driver. Unzip and install in an admin account.

http://majorgeeks.com/VIA_AC97_Vinyl_Audio_driver_d4505.html

Edit: I think it would be best not to use the setup.exe file. I will post instructions shortly.

Edit: Sorry, I do not think this file will work. I am going to try and get an inf driver file for your computer.

11. jordanquilca

jordanquilca Private E-2

thanks i i will wait for instructions

12. tgell

I am downloading the Intel driver and am going to try to strip out the inf file. But, I do not know if it work. I will let you know shortly.

13. tgell

Deleted: sorry for the double post.

14. tgell

I cannot attach the driver but see if this works for you. You have downloaded the intel driver. It is actually a self-extracting zip file. Using something like WinRAR, extract the files to a folder. In this folder is a folder called \WDM. Place this folder on your desktop. Right click the multimedia audio controller in Device Manager and select properties. Under the driver tab, select update driver and browse to the Alcwdm.inf in the \WDM folder.

The below link shows how to install via the inf method.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030331.htm

15. jordanquilca

jordanquilca Private E-2

16. tgell

That was in my post #2.

17. tgell

Wow, that is great. What is kind of weird is the Vendor and Device ID in the Via drivers did not match your Vendor and Device ID.

You can use a driver backup software that will save all drivers on your PC and when you reinstall the OS you can just restore them. Software that can do that is called Doubled Driver. Very simple interface.

http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Another option would be to get software like Todo backup and make a system image on a regular basis. Using the Boot CD, you can reimage an unbootable system in a relatively short time vs doing a full reinstall of the OS. Just make sure the boot cd can see your internal and external drives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds