Autologin Lost for Gmail/Google Chrome -- after VLC load?

Discussion in 'Software' started by xllurgy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. xllurgy

xllurgy Private E-2

My good ol' dad can't login to Gmail this morning ... here's what I (think I) know about what we've done to the system since last successful email login:

Loaded VLC Vista in my Dad's XP Pro laptop a couple of days ago, as suggested in Software Forum; test runs were fine. Sat down last night with Dad for first major "viewing" -- 2 errors messages, both saying VLC had crashed. Tried reloading disc a couple of times. Disc eventually loaded, but no sound. Another trial, same results. Checked system and VLC sound settings, all at or near maximum volume (Dad is hard of hearing).

Rebooted system (XP Professional), reloaded disc. and VLC operated normally, though a bit slow to open. Left system on overnight, but did not access email/Google Chrome.

This morning, a new development when we did; do not know if it is related. :confused Normally, Dad double-clicks Google Chrome, and goes right into the inbox of his Gmail acct. This morning, he is back at the sign-in screen, which he says he has never seen (we do have a tech who automated a bunch of stuff, but I don't know what he might have done here), and the password taped over the desk isn't working, nor is the message function going through to the cell phone from google to reset the password. And Dad ... is hollering for me and pointing at the dvd of Big Bang Theory.

Yikes. Any ideas? FYI, Dad does not have Admin rights, by design, in case this is impacting functionality/causing VLC to interfere, etc. And reset on Gmail is heck in the first 24 hours, since he cannot remember the account creation dates. Grateful for your help and ideas.

TIA, Major Geeks.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Does everything else look right on his desktop? He's not under a new profile?

3. xllurgy

xllurgy Private E-2

Desktop looks fine. Double-checked, he is logged in as himself, and his profile reset (properly) to restricted use (non-admin status). The only other change I've noted has been that the FN key/number lock on the laptop keypad seems to be engaged every time I go out to change which user is logged in/out. Noticed this during the install and going forward. Thought I fixed it after reboot. It may have been set that way before I got here -- Dad would not think to log out of a user account ... just noting this 'in case.'

What else might it be?

Also, I noted the normal "stay signed in" on gmail is 2 weeks -- Dad appears to have been logged in since spring -- that's what's gone missing.

TIA.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you run any kind of disk cleanup tool, CCleaner, for instance?

5. xllurgy

xllurgy Private E-2

did :(, but ran it after the problem started.

and, it errored on cookie removal because browser was open. ??

6. satrow

That might mean anything in the open browser was left untouched, not completely sure though.

7. xllurgy

xllurgy Private E-2

Any chance this is a hijack? Or that I should uninstall VLC?

Otherwise, I'm just waiting the full day till I get to use the security question to find out what the password is.

Also wondering how to keep Dad logged in past the two-week period gmail specifies.:banghead

Thanks for all the help, and TIA for anything else that might occur.:)

8. xllurgy

xllurgy Private E-2

Weirdness ensues -- I do not mean to double-post, but this new thing just happened --

Immediately after last post, I decided to try variations on the old password again. Tried several, no dice. Clicked down through the lost password screens again. Text to phone option still didn't work. Then:

Hit the back button on the browser several times. Suddenly, i am in his email account. We have definitely not been in the account since this login.

What's happening?

9. satrow

It's possible it's some kind of hijack. I find it unlikely that installing VLC has any bearing on it.

I use the web browser's 'remember me' feature to login to my Yahoo account, same 2 week maximum login; if I remember to logout after each session, I just have to click 'login' as the browser has already filled my details.
    That sounds like the login cookie still works, did you try to refresh the page or open a different email folder then?

10. xllurgy

xllurgy Private E-2

I will try to get him to follow your logout/login plan. As to the other, I don't know ... it's just working suddenly. Let's call it a MG Miracle. ;)

Thank you so much for all your terrific help. Looking forward to more Big Bang Theory tonite with Dad, thanks to you. :)

11. satrow

No problem and good luck to you both.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds