yahoo mail problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by adm7007, Nov 16, 2014.

1. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

When I click on a email address link from another website I get redirected to the yahoo mail compose page however the email address doesn't appear in the To line like I'm pretty sure it used to.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

I'm using Firefox.

Already tried the yahoo support website but that is a joke and of no help.

Thanks.

This seems to have started happening after the last 2 firefox updates.

2. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

Anyone have any ideas or experiencing the same problem with yahoo mail?

3. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

Looks like this site is useless for a solution.
    Hardly anyone is logged on when I check back.

4. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Have you tried a different browser or a version of Firefox previous to the last two updates to see if the problem still exists?
    Many of us don't stay logged in and we can loggin and out pretty quickly.

5. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

I tried an older version of firefox 27 and the problem persists.

Only other browser I have installed is IE8 and yahoo mail doesn't support that now and I don't like chrome.

I installed gmail yesterday and it works with that.
    The email address appears in the compose section.

I guess it's either a yahoo or firefox issue.
    Can't find a solution on other forums also.

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm running Firefox 33.1.1 and had saved the Yahoo! Mail Sign in URL to my Bookmarks quite a while back. Using that URL, I'm able to log into Yahoo! Mail and use all of it's functions (see att'd)

Attached Files:

7. plastidust

What OS version are you using? If mdonah's suggestion doesn't work for you...

You can try one of these as a temporary option to determine if it is a Firefox problem or a "Yahoo mail" problem.

The above require Vista or higher. If you're using XP, you will need one of these instead:

8. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

I don't see a URL there.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

att'd means attachment.
    He wants you to view the thumbnail attached to his post.

10. mdonah

In Firefox, go up to the Google Search Box and type in "Yahoo! Mail Sign-in Page" with or without the quotes and hit enter. The top result has a link that says Sign In. Click on that and you'll get to Yahoo's sign in page. Go up to Bookmarks and select Bookmark this page. For the dialogue box that comes up, click Done. The Yahoo Sign in page will now show up in your Bookmarks Sidebar.

Something else I also do is export my bookmarks to an HTML file from time to time because I'm adding bookmarks sometimes. All I have to do then is import the bookmarks if I have to re-install Firefox for some reason. It saves me having to search for sites and re-add them to my bookmarks. It also restores the ones I may have forgotten.

11. plodr

mdonah, he is way ahead of this. He doesn't want to get directed to the sign in page for Yahoo. He already gets directed to the compose page, bypassing sign in.

He would like the address for the person he wants to compose the email already filled in on the compose screen.

12. mdonah

He may have to do things the "Old fashioned" way by compose and manually entering the address of the recipient. If he had this person or people in his contacts, he could select the name(s) from his contacts in which case, the email address will automatically be entered.

13. plodr

He doesn't have the address in his contacts.
    He used to be able to click a link on some webpage where it said "send an emaiL". He'd arrive at the compose page in Yahoo with the email address filled in.
    What he wants to know is if anyone running a new version of FF has the address filled in on the compose window the way it used to work.

14. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

I did view it and there's no URL there.

Have you guys had problems with yahoo mail since they got rid of the classic version and came up with the new version which sucks compared to classic?

Lot's of complaints and problems with the new version,but for me this is the first issue I've had.

I'm not an advanced computer user and I started with classic yahoo mail which worked great until they got rid of it.

15. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

Yes you are correct I want it to work like it used to all the time without fail.

I would click on an email address or contact us and get directed to the yahoo mail compose page with the address there.

My ISP uses yahoo for their homepage/mail.

16. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I'm asking this only because no one else has, and it needs to be asked:

Firefox has settings that tells it which program to use when you click a specific kind of link. That's how PDFs open in Adobe Reader, videos open in Media Player, and so on. Have you checked your Firefox settings to make sure it's still set to use Yahoo for mailto links?

If not, here's how to do it: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/toolbar/m...t-email-service-sln3288.html?impressions=true

As I said, checking just to make sure this hasn't been missed. :)

17. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

Yes my firefox mailto link is set to yahoo mail.

18. Mimsy

Have you tried setting it to anything other than Yahoo Mail, rebooting your computer, changing it back to Yahoo, and rebooting again? Just to rule that out.

19. sh@peshift3r

sh@peshift3r Private E-2

Are you sure the link from the website has the email address you need when you hover your mouse to the anchor link? Some webmasters usually leave this blank although it is clickable. One reason sometimes the "To" field is empty.

20. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

Tried that today with no luck.

21. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

Windows XP 32 bit.
    Is that palemoon download safe?

I think it said unknown publisher when I looked at it a few days ago so I didn't install it.

22. plastidust

Yes, Pale Moon is safe to download from the links I listed. You will need to download from one of the latter two links as those are the only versions that will run on an XP based computer.

The "Atom/WinXP" link leads to the official Pale Moon publisher's site: (Moonchild Productions, author Mark Straver).The "Windows XP" link leads to a third party contributed build especially for Windows XP. It was developed by Matt A. Tobin(Binary Outcast) and is authorized by Moonchild Productions.

If you were to visit the Pale Moon forums I think would see that Matt A. Tobin is very much involved with the development of Pale Moon.

Since the release of Pale Moon v25.x.x, many of the popular add-ons/extensions for Firefox(ABP, ABE etc.) won't work, or won't work properly.
    Matt A. Tobin is currently working on converting the most popular add-ons/extensions for Firefox so they work with the latest builds of Pale Moon. Binary Outcast will probably be the official download site for the Pale Moon add-ons/extensions.

For the time being, I would download and use a portable version. You're only trying Pale Moon to see if Firefox is the problem or if Yahoo is the culprit. That way if you want to remove Pale Moon, all that's necessary is to delete the Pale Moon folder. No un-install necessary. If you like it, you can download and install it later.
    You think what said "unknown publisher"?

23. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

It said unknown publisher in the box that says run or cancel.

24. plastidust

By the word "it", do you mean Firefox? You don't want to "run" the file from the link, you want to download the file, scan it with your security applications then run it. Before running the file, you can also upload the file for scanning to:

Scanning any file you download, no matter where you download from, is simply good procedure.

Which link are you following? The one for "Binary Outcast?" Or, the one for the "Atom/WinXP builds?"
    If you're trying to download from the "Binary Outcast" link, I understand your concern.
    If you read the End of Windows XP support in Pale Moon post, under the "What are my alternatives?" section, "Recommended:" options, you will find the same links I provided earlier.

25. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

I tried it using Chrome and it still doesn't work.

I get redirected to the yahoo mail compose page and the TO line is still blank.

Sounds like a problem at yahoo's end I guess?

gmail works fine

26. Mimsy

That definitely sounds like it might be a Yahoo issues. I went through their account settings on my Yahoo Mail account, but nothing obvious stood out as a setting that might fix this. :(

Could it be an XP issue? A lot of companies and sites are dropping XP support since Microsoft no longer support it.

27. plastidust

This isn't much of a solution but, right-click on the mailto:link and select "Copy Email Address" before you left-click on the link. Then in the compose page, paste the address in the "To:" field.

28. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

That works if there's an email address to copy.
    Some sites just have a "contact us" link with no address visible to copy.

In my last post I meant to say gmail works fine with firefox.

29. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

edit.
    Just noticed I can copy and paste an email link if it only says contact us.
    Wasn't aware,so use to having the link automatically appear for all these years with yahoo mail.

30. adm7007

adm7007 Private E-2

Now when I click on a email address I get redirected to my yahoo mail page,but it won't go to the compose page now.

Just noticed this yesterday.

It does this with both firefox and chrome.
    Yahoo mail gets worse.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds