tables in MS Word...

Discussion in 'Software' started by technaut, Apr 29, 2006.

1. technaut

technaut Private E-2

I have text.doc files with tables in them, which already have black table borders.

Can I adjust a setting in MS Word, such that all the table-containing files open with gray table borders, instead of black table borders?

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Click on your Table
    On the Toolbar select 'Table'>Table Properties
    On the Table tab select 'Borders and Shading'
    You can now change the border color to what you want and even set a table background color by selecting the 'Shading' tab
    :)

3. technaut

technaut Private E-2

Thanks, toni.

I've done that 4 times, and it's taking too long.

What I'm asking, is if adjusting one setting, will make EVERY FILE open automatically with the tables' borders already in gray.

4. Toni_1947

On the Toolbar select 'Format'> 'Styles and Formating' >on the left select 'Table Grid'>Set as 'Default Table Style'
    You can select 'This document only?' or
    'All documents based on the Normal.dot template?'

but....I don't think this will apply to any already saved documents...just NEW ones.

:)

5. technaut

technaut Private E-2

Thanks, Toni!

Anybody know for sure - yea, or nay:confused: ?

6. Toni_1947

Your answers and MORE here:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/HA011876171033.aspx

7. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

As you typed "I have text.doc files with tables in them, which already have black table borders."

I am sure that regardless of any changes in your default settings or the creation of a template format you are going to have manually open each doc select the table(s) and apply your preferred template or click...click...click to apply your preferred format to each and every table.

I am going to assume you are working with .docs containing tables that were created prior to your (guessing) employment or position that places you in direct updating and/or maintenance of these tables as well as the data within these .docs they are preexisting in their current format and will have to be opened reformatted and saved as to reflect your preferrences.

Unfortantly you will not find any shortcut to "blanket" format changes to the borders of multiple tables in multiple docs that will work in (guessing) your hope of 10 clicks or less.

The only short cut that may work with multiple .docs (guessing) you have at least 10 or more is to open them all and then once all .docs are open select any one of the .docs click on "Table" pull down then click on "Select" click on "table" then hold the control key and choose another table within the same doc or continuing to hold down the control key click on another opened .doc and repeat the previous steps

If the windows software allows this procedure: (the tables will remain highlighte/selected from your first doc to your last doc) when you have all the tables in all the .docs selected then release the "control" key click "Tables" pull down then click "Table Properties" and choose "borders and shading" make the "blanket" format changes to the borders you want or if you chose to create a template click "tools" template add ins and apply. Be sure to close each doc separetly and "save as"

If the window software will not allow the selection of multiple tables from multiple open docs: you will have to make these changes one doc at a time.
    ;)

8. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

To the original posted request.

I am running XP Windows 2000. I took some time to find a short cut for you. I created 3 docs containing tables saving each doc table with different colored borders. My default table borders are set to black, however when I opened my saved docs the tables I previously saved in other colors opened in the colors I saved them in...therefore, I can confirm that simply changing your default table settings will have no effect on the tables in existing saved docs only tables you create in new docs will appear as your preferred default setting.

I also attempted opening each doc choosing table select table holding down the shift key and opening and selecting the tables in the other docs and formating the borders - this only worked on the last doc opened.

I then attempted using the table table auto format and apply it to all docs and set as my default but when I opened my previously saved docs the tables opened in the colors I originally saved them as.

Therefore, I can confirm that you will have to manually select each table to change the border formats one doc at a time. Or change them as you use them be sure to opt to save as when closing the doc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds