Obtain DNS server address automatically won't stay checked

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoctorBob, Jan 18, 2011.

1. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Private E-2

The thread title pretty much says it all. Under NETWORK CONNECTIONS --> WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION --> PROPERTIES --> INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP) --> PROPERTIES --> OBTAIN DNS SERVER ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY will not stay checked. If I check it I can get onto the Internet fine one time, then it goes to "Use the following DNS server addresses" by itself and my browser will no longer work. Note that "Obtain an IP address automatically" continues to stay checked.

I have already tried multiple solutions including

ipconfig /flushdns
    restarting the computer / wireless router / modem
    scanning for viruses, malware, spyware
    running the program Ispfix
    running the program GMER
    running the program Combofix
    running the program fixhosts
    running the program WinSockXPFix
    running the Norton Removal Tool
    turning off the firewall

Invariably, the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" spontaneously reverts back to "Use the following DNS server addresses" followed by the same two "Preferred DNS server" and "Alternate DNS server" numbers.

Note that even when the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is unchecked, I can still successfully ping IP addresses under the CMD prompt, and if I put an IP address in place of the URL in the browser -- http://74.125.224.18 instead of www.google.com , for example -- the browser will successfully pull up the website.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

It's normal for your browser to find a site if you enter the IP for it without a DNS server.

Why not enter the DNS server numbers manually and see if they will stay? I realize this doesn't fix the disappearing act but it would end your not being able to browse every other time you go online.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds