DVD Movie Burning Questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sebass, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Sebass

Sebass Private E-2

I don't know if this is where to ask this...but I am using vso's ConvertXtoDVD because it looked to be the cheapest most solid DVD movie creator. However, the discs I am burning are skipping in my Toshiba SD-3960 stand alone DVD player...they are almost stuttering especially in scenes of "busy-ness" of you want to call it that...they play perfect on my PC, and on my g/f's laptop, I have tried burning them with vso and Nero and both come out the same...

I assume this is my DVD player so anyone have any suggestions for switching? (The DVD player has been awesome so far with normal DVD's) I have turned off progressive scanning and no difference.

And while I am on the subject...does any DVD player play a small DVD movie I create in vso then burn to CD.

Thanks for the help!

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would first ensure that your DVD player supports the media format you are using. Does it play DVD-R? DVD+R? DVD+/-RW? Dual Layers? I've run into a few players that are picky about this.

Now, are you converting different file types to DVD? (ie AVI to DVD, MPEG, etc) Or are you backing up DVDs that you own?

If you are converting, you might try Avi2DVD. It has been recommended by some users on Majorgeeks. I unfortunately have only used DivXtoDVD, which has been replaced by CovertXtoDVD, so I can't comment on its reliablity. But, I have found that using the right software makes a world of difference when burning DVDs. It may be worth investigating.

If you are backing up DVDs, I would recommend you try DVD Decrypter to extract an image of the disc onto your hard drive. If necessary, you can compress this image into single layer disc size with DVDShrink. This will spit out an image that will fit on a single layer disc. Finally, you can then burn your image onto disc using DVD Decrypter. I've used this method for quite some time, and its worked VERY well. These freeware apps have far surpassed any pay-for program IMO.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Try burning the disc at a lower speed, also.

4. Geek-A-Hertz

Geek-A-Hertz Private E-2

A question of my own on the subject.

I have a DVD burner but have never tried to burn one. Is DVD burning subject to buffer underuns like burning regular CD's. If so could this perhaps be the cause?

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The burning process is the same.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, that's an excellent step I often forget. I would try that before going through the trouble of downloading perhaps unnecessary software.

7. Sebass

Sebass Private E-2

AVI2DVD is a wonderful program!

It takes about 3 or 4 times longer than convertxtodvd but I now have almost perfect images of each AVI/MPG I decoded and burn with good audio matchup and no stuttering...

I take the iso and burn using Nero at 8x and the DVD's work awesome in my standalone player.

Now how can I take like 3 or 4 movies and have it make one iso out of all of them? not possible yet?

That is one of the most valuable free programs I have come across in a long time...thank you so much!

8. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You don't have Nero Recode? It's part of the Nero package.

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm...if there's a program that joins ISOs, I don't know about it, and cannot find anything of the sort. (That would be hellishly cool, though)

However, with Media Join, you can do this sort of thing with your AVIs, and THEN convert them to ISO. The download link is on the left.

Personally, I use Smart Video Converter, and it gives wonderful results, but unfortunately, it is shareware.

Edit: Just Playin beat me yet again w/ another sweet suggestion. I didn't know about that! Cheers, dude!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds