Recovering Folder From Recycle Bin

Discussion in 'Software' started by Trogan_1000, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

Hi,

I deleted a folder and then *accidently* emptied the recycle bin, so now the folder is lost and I would like to recover it. Is there a way to do this?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You could try PC Inspector File Recovery to recover that folder but chances are the HD space of the deleted data may have been written over.

3. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

I downloaded PC Inspector File Recovary but i'm lost as how to use it. How do I scan for lost files and folders?

Thanks

4. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

Help! :D

Thanks

5. DavidGP

You will need a second logical drive to save the recovered data to, either another partition, hard drive, USB drive etc you cannot save to the same drive you are restoring from.

run program > choose language > Click the WasteBin icon top one > Click the drive to scan for deleted data/recovery > click the tick > it will then scan for deleted data and tell you if the data is in a good condition or not > once it has found data ( green folder icons ) you can highlight them and click the Save Icon ( looks like a floppy )

The program also has a good help section

6. Jiggiddy

Jiggiddy Private E-2

I did something similar and took this advise. but now I have a question relating to this. I found the file and restored the files but I found a bunch of files that I want off of my hard drive For good that can't be recovered. I used PGP wipe drive and Disk cleanup by "software by design" and these files are still recoverable. here is my question....

Is there such a program or a way to pinpoint what files are already deleted and wipe them for good? I have wiped my HDD 23 times and file recovery still can recover it so I think it's on a cluster that is being protected or something. What should I do about this?

Thanks for help,
    Jiggiddy

7. DavidGP

What you would need is a file erasing application which jumbles up the data so it cannot be actively recovered, some software exists that can do this for you.. one free one is Eraser 5.7 once installed you floow the instructions below,

8. Trogan_1000

Trogan_1000 Private E-2

Thanks Halo for your help. Unfortunately, PC Inspector File Recovary didn't find the folder I was looking for but its ok.

Thanks again :)

9. Jiggiddy

Jiggiddy Private E-2

Halo you are a life saver. Thank you very much.

Do you know why PGP could not get rid of these files and this one could? I thought PGP was supposed to be a good data eliminator, Obviously it isn't.

Thanks again,
    Jiggiddy

10. DavidGP

My pleasure, as to why PGP doesnt fully wipe the data, I dont use that app so wouldnt know without reading up on how if wipes files.....

basics of file erasing or secure wiping would be to erase the files in a way that scrambles the data and then multipasses random data over the top of the hard drive space that your data occupied.. the best results are from erasing algorithims developed by Peter Gutmann or DOD standards ( which Eraser and one I use called East-Tec Eraser ( not free ) use these standard to erase files )

some background info if your interested
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/
    http://www.tech-faq.com/securely-erase-data.shtml

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds