Help! Something is eating my memory!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sodapoppers, Nov 22, 2007.

1. sodapoppers

sodapoppers Private E-2

I don't know what to do! I have been having issues with my computer lately where it is CONSTANTLY telling me I am low on memory. I have deleted several programs which have freed up about 2 gigs, and then about a half hour later, the low memory warning came up again! When I checked the C drive, it told me I only had 4 megabytes left free! This has been going on for a couple days now and then just gets to the point where I can't do anything and then need to restart.
    I tried to install a new virus detector today, and it just froze the whole computer over and over (I must have rebooted about 100 times). When I started up in safemode, I checked the C drive and it told me I had almost 2 gig free! rolleyes
    Then after I restarted in normal, I am back down to (currently) 100 free megabytes. I tried to look in C and see where all the space is going, then when I right cicked and went to properties on documents and settings, the amount of disk on space is constantly climbing! I looked at the processes (when you hit ctrl + alt + del) and I have about 10 SVChosts - I have no idea what that is, and when I try to end them all the computer says it's encountered an error and must restart. I don't know where this memory is going or how to fix it!
    Any help is appreciated.
    I am running windows XP. :)

2. sodapoppers

sodapoppers Private E-2

PS: I have run Spybot, CCleaner, and ScanDisk

3. n3et

n3et Private E-2

Power off the computer, power on, let it boot up, and do nothing else.

Let it sit for an hour or for a period of time that normally causes the low memory alert.

See if the alert comes up by itself and not by anything that you do.

You may have to first do what you did before to get the memory back to a few GB. How big is your harddrive?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds