Forgot password

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dfbova, Dec 16, 2007.

1. dfbova

dfbova Private E-2

Have a Compaq 4000 laptop that used to be owned by a corporation. The password to get in won't work. How can I reset or by pass?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

We don't help crack passwords here. Try going to the original owners and asking there.
    And Welcome to MG. We will help on every problem except passwords or infringing on copyrights.

3. PinkMan

PinkMan Private E-2

He said the password they gave him wont work there is a way to reset it and it involves no cracking or illegal action, Is it the main windows logon password? and am I allowd to tell him how to get around it? Just wondering don't wanna piss anyone off :)

4. dfbova

dfbova Private E-2

This is the main Windows XP password. The company was bought out and the the IT dept taken over by the new company. The last user has retired (how we ended up with it). I don't know where else to go. Right now the computer is no use to anyone.

5. PinkMan

PinkMan Private E-2

Well this is not illegal it requires no hacking or anything it is a simple process that any microsoft employee can tell you. Just boot into safe mode and go into control panel > user settings > and change the admin password and voila!!! I hope I don't get into trouble for giving advice any microsoft operator or local tech would give/do. If this is against the rules I am very sorry, and it will not happen again.

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It is normal policy not to help with passwords, because you just don't know if the reason is fabricated or not. We could be helping someone open some poor old lady's PC or on the other hand keep some poor old lady from getting back into her system. But ASUS has been around quite a while and knows what he's doing, so....
    What I used to do was PM a mod in the cases that looked authenticate and get advice.

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Asus beat me to it. His link above will explain exactly how to reset the Windows admin password. The instructions aren't the most clearly written, and the web site isn't laid out real well (IMHO), but if you read thru everything slowly, and print it out or take notes, you'll get it.

9. semtexsy

semtexsy Private E-2

I think that only works when you are already logged into windows??

and i dont he can log in

10. padams

padams First Sergeant

No it's good, it's bootable off a cd or floppy. I thought the same thing at first.

11. semtexsy

semtexsy Private E-2

well now i know and knowing is half the battle:p

12. dfbova

dfbova Private E-2

Problem is I can't boot off a CD as the ROM setup will not let me change the boot from hard drive first. Any suggestions?

13. semtexsy

semtexsy Private E-2

so just clarify for me .You can get into the boot menu at startup?

14. dfbova

dfbova Private E-2

I can either get into the ROM setup (press F10 when computer comes on but before Windows starts to load - here I can see the option to change the startup sequence but the hardrive is set to "First" and won't let me change it. Or I can go into Safe Mode but all options lead me first to the Windows security/password screen.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds