Speed Issues with Seedbox

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alejandra, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Alejandra

Alejandra Private E-2

Three friends and I chipped in to get ourselves an Underleech seedbox this week. We shared some files and downloaded them via FileZilla. Two of us downloaded the same file from the box to our computers. It took my friend about 13 minutes. It took me 2 hours. We have Comcast internet. It's been pretty decent - except with the seedbox. I shut off my PIA VPN to see if that would help. That cut the time in half, but it was still looking at about an hour and a half to her 13 minutes.

I run Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron. Another user in my household tested it out. With a different browser, but the same VPN and SB, he got similar speeds. We reset our internet connection, just to be sure. That didn't help.

My questions are two-fold
    a) Any ideas why this is happening and how I can prevent it?

b) Any thoughts on how I can help my VPN and SB to cooperate so that I don't have to choose between VPN protection of my personal browsing and speed on my SB?

Any helpful thoughts or suggestions you might be able to offer would be appreciated.

Alej

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I can only guess.

Comcast and others have been monitoring and even throttling bandwidth if they suspect activity that's an issue. I would speedtest your connection, then speedtest via seedbox.

Also remember that when you download, someone has to actually upload. Upload speeds tend to be very slow. I would be more interested into checking out your upload speeds. Odds are a slow upload speed is actually your problem, especially with a basic or medium service. Then toss in busy hours, when lots of people around you are online and your upload speeds suffer even more.

3. Alejandra

Alejandra Private E-2

I'll definitely check into that Comcast option.

As far as the upload issue, I would understand that if it were a problem getting the file to the seedbox. My issue is getting it from the seedbox to my computer via FTP.

Thanks for your suggestions!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds