Can't Get Numbers And Symbols On Top of Keyboard To Work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jek1862, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jek1862

jek1862 Private E-2

For some reason, the past few days, I have had occasions where when I push down on the number keys(except numbers 5 and 6-they work, why I have no idea) above the letters, nothing happens. Also, the symbols above these keys also do not work! I know, weird! Like I can't write any emails right now because I can't use the 'at' symbol above number 2, for example, and I need to write some emails!! But I've said I've had 'occasions' where this is happening, in the last week or so. Then it seems to correct itself. But tonight, for the 4 hours or so I've been on, those numbers keys will simply not work, and the symbols above them. I would also like to mention I CAN access the numbers on the keypad on the right of the keyboard, but this doesn't help me with those symbols I need above the numbers above the letters. So I can type numbers, but I also need those symbols, too...especially the 'at' symbol above #2. I have read a little about others who have had this problem, and it seems to have something to do with the 'NumLock' key, but I don't quite understand the remedies that are presented as to how to fix this. If you know what is going on here, please give me instructions on how to fix it. I need to use those numbers above the keyboard, for the symbols. If I don't get that #2 key working, I won't be able to write any emails for I don't presently have the 'at' symbol, which of course I need for the email addresses. This is really going to cause me some problems if I don't get this fixed soon. Thanks for your help with this.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Swap out the keyboard.
    Last week, one day my keyboard worked fine and the next day 5 keys refused to work. I swapped out for another keyboard and discovered it was a problem with the keyboard because on the replacement, everything worked fine.

3. jek1862

jek1862 Private E-2

This problem is solved. Went out and got another keyboard...no problems in two days. All keys work. Why my other keyboard suddenly malfunctioned, I have no idea. Even Device Manager said it was working okay, no flags. I hope is stays okay.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds