Win XP won't allow Key for SKY \ Netgear router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dt030, Dec 11, 2007.

1. dt030

dt030 Private E-2

Howdy,

I am having a problems connecting my laptop to my wireless router, can someone give me some ideas of how to fix it. My suspicion is that it is a Windows problem but i don't really know where to go about fixing it.

I have a Netgear router supplied by Sky (there is not model number on the router that i can find). I have a 3 year old Pentium 4 laptop, running Windows XP.

The laptop will connect to the router via cable (ethernet) without problem. My Ipod and Wii both connect without problem (although i don't connect them that often).

The problems comes when i try to connect my laptop wirelessly: Windows says that the network "SKY???" requires a network key (also called a WEP or WPA key). ....... When i enter the network key (very carefully several times) Windows comes up with an error message that "the network key needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. this can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexidecimal characters." I have never changed the password.

Can anyone give me some info on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Do you know how to access your router admin panel? Exactly what wireless security setting, if any, do you have enabled in your laptop, WEP, WPA, or nothing? Likewise, for your router?

Password for what?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Have a read of this, I had to talk my sister through the same, the Network Key is printed on the bottom of the router or with the network settings card they supplied with the package, but check the settings in Windows with the below.

http://www.sky.com/Assets/PDF/StaticFiles/708310.pdf

Make really sure you type the characters in the same case as they are written....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds