CPU says USB ports are not 2.0 (?)

Discussion in 'Software' started by brandhr, Apr 18, 2010.

1. brandhr

brandhr Private E-2

I have a Sony desktop PCV-RS 510 which is running the original Pentium 4, 512 meg DDR, Windows XP. Four USB drives in the front, and four in the back. They are all supposed to be high speed 2.0. Every time I connect someting to the USB port, I get "This device can perform faster if you connect to HI-SPEED USB port" etc. The I click on the cloud to bring up the list of ports. Next message is "There are no HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this computer".

I made sure Windows was updated, tried updating the drivers, disconnected and reinstalled the ports, etc. Got on-line with the Sony tech last night and FIVE HOURS later, after trying all of the above and more, I finally had to give up and go to sleep. Instead of going through all of that again with a new tech, thought I would ask here and see if you smart guys have a better suggestion.

Note that I am not sure how long I have been having the problem-- always just ignored it since all the USB items still ran and not overly slow. Tried to run an ITouch last night and ITunes would not recognize it--solution was to connect to a 2.0 port. Would like to get this solved so I can use the ITouch.

Thanks in advance.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Hmm, I found this page with drivers for your computer on Sony's website but I don't see anything there that I can identify as a USB driver.

If you have an empty PCI slot, one solution for your dilema would be a PCI USB controller card. Here's an inexpensive one with solid buyer reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124008. It would add 4 USB 2.0 ports to the back of your computer.

3. brandhr

brandhr Private E-2

Thanks for the tip. Just seems weird to me that the computer is supposed to have 2.0 ports but no one can figure out why they aren't registering as 2.0 (including two different Sony techs who collectively spent five hours trying to fix it).

For updating the drivers, I went into device manager and selected "update driver" for each USB host controller and each USB root drive. For each one the response was that it had the most up to date driver so it couldn't be updated.

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Don't know if this would help but I remember seeing a similar thread in here not to long ago, although in that case the ports weren't being seeing.
    Anyway, the solution there was to remove the battery, wait the 15 minutes, then reinstall, effectively resetting the BIOS.
    As I said, don't know if this will cure you. :wave:wave

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

One technique I've seen work for some users who have a problem like this is to open Device Manager, expand the section for Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right click on each item and remove it. Again, remove all items there. Then, restart your computer. Windows will reinstall drivers.

In Device Manager, USB 2.0 capability is indicated by the word "enhanced" in the title of one of the items in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

make sure you are updated to xp service pack 3 (sp2 at least) ?

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Very good idea is that, to follow brandhr, also please let us know if you have any device in Device Manager with a yellow ! mark?

Unplug any extra USB devices you have installed like Printer, external USB Hard Drive etc and test the USB ports again, but do reboot once you have un-pligged them.

I have also seen Malware cause this especially with iTunes and Ipods etc, so follow this HERE, but if you do find malware listed in any of the scans then do start a new thread in our malware area of the forum and attach all the requested logs, although the guide did fix a similar issue for a few members last year by just running the guide and the scans sorted it.

8. brandhr

brandhr Private E-2

I appreciate all the responses. Unfortunately I have tried everything except for removing the battery to reset the bios.

1. When I removed all the items under the USB Controllers in device manager, I did not notice a yellow ! I just went back to device manager and confirmed there is not currently a yellow ! in any of the sections. Also, the word "enhanced" does not appear in any of the titles in the USB Serial Bus Controllers section.

2. I did all the Windows updates possible, to include those marked "optional"-- I assume that includes service pack 3, but couldn't tell for sure by looking at the update history.

3. I went through the malware removal and prevention threads a few months ago (great threads and the reason I was introduced to this site). I guess I could go through each step again, but I have kept the prevention stuff running to include periodic scans and no malware has shown up since the initial removal.

4. Would be interested to hear more about the battery removal/bios reset suggestion. Difficult? Any risk? Worth it if the USB ports are working/recognized (just not at high speed)?

Thanks again.

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

no risk...well there's always an inherited risk when opening up your computer, but just removing the battery is fine. Just remember to unplug it first, and then hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds to purge any remaining power left in the circuits. remove the little round battery, heck, hold the power button down again for a least 5 seconds. That might be enough to reset it, but you are probably best to just wait about 20 minutes before you pop the battery in and boot it back up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds