USB Webcam Driver for 'unknown'

Discussion in 'Software' started by dAVE_smITh, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dAVE_smITh

dAVE_smITh Private E-2

a few months ago i purchased a webcam from Argos but since then have lost the drivers that came with it....

thing is, this webcam has no identifying features atall.....

no make...

no modle number....

no nothing...

its just a silver little thing with a black snaoshot button on top. and it has this green light to the left hand side of the lense when plugged in.

is it possible to find out what drivers/make/model no. this webcam needs from some kinda of systems properties tool as i have been unable to do so...

or a little programe that scans the usb ports and gives me some indication of what webcam i have.....?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is it one of these that Argos still sell?

Webcams

3. dAVE_smITh

dAVE_smITh Private E-2

4. dAVE_smITh

dAVE_smITh Private E-2

mad one. if u type 'webcam' into the argos search engine u get more results than clicking on webcam in the menu...

(bored) :D

5. DavidGP

OH great its one of those generic brands, nightmare for finding the drivers for.. ideas for the night,

before I forget what OS are you using... just helps get any steps/instructions right?

1. Try contacting Argos customer support and see if they know who manufactures that webcan and if so can the direct you to the companys website?

2. Unplug the webcam and reboot, then plug webcam back in and see if the OS picks up new hardware and installs drivers for it.

3. ( Longshot ) Download EVEREST and under Computer > Summary does it list a USB item thats a webcam

6. dAVE_smITh

dAVE_smITh Private E-2

yea, the computer recognises it as a 'webcam' in the system/device manager and AIDA32 (same thing as EVEREST)....

just need to know what/if there are drivers for it.....

7. DavidGP

Looking for generic brand hardware drivers is worse than looking for needle in haystack!

Apart from Option1 I posted above the only other thing that springs to mind are...

1. In Device Manager double click the webcam > Drivers > Driver Details and see if any of the files it loads gives a hint at the provider.

2. If you have another PC to test this on then plug the webcam in and see if drivers are loaded by the OS or via Device Manager and Update Driver ( searches the MS driver DB ) and test the cam works.

8. DavidGP

Sorry Dave, not come up with concrete ID of that webcam and what company makes it so you can get a replacement set of drivers for it :(

Closest I have gotten is in reference to this company http://www.sweex.com which do make generic webcams for company's, then leading from that a pure guess as the specs are similar of this model http://www.sweex.com/product.asp?pid=421&s=0 OK it doesnt look exactly like it but you never know!

BEST bet is as I mentioned ring Argos up and ask if they know the manufacturer or alternatively email Sweex and ask them if they make webcams and that model you have for Argos, cannot hurt to try?

have you also tried/tested any of the other last suggestions I made?

------------------------

Last 3 posts deleted before things get out of hand.

Note to all: PLEASE read threads carefully, if you make a mistake fine we are all only human BUT leave out the potential argumentative posts, they serve no purpose and will be deleted.

9. itstrue698

itstrue698 Private E-2

10. DavidGP

Old thread from 2005 but many thanks for a possible fix link, itstrue698.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds