Do I need this software ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jizaref1, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jizaref1

jizaref1 Private First Class

I just went through a malware debugging elsewhere on this forum.

Now I am trying to streamline my system and startup. There are a number of items in my Add/Remove programs that I am not sure I need. They may have been installed without my realizing in the context of other installs. They might be redundant with other software. Or they might be needed to run some of my regular software (e.g. Picasa, TVersity, Tivo Desktop).

I have searched Google but still cannot find a satisfactory answer as to whether I need these items, and whether uninstalling will adversely affect my system or software function.

These programs include:

1. [*]3ivx MPEG-4 5.0.3.
      [*]Adobe AIR (I have Acrobat, Flash Player and Reader)
      [*]Adobe reader 6.0.1 and 9.2 -- any reason to have both?
      [*]DirectShow Dump
      [*]ffdshow
      [*]muvee Plugin 1.0

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Jeff

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I can offer suggestions on the two Adobe Items.
    I've removed Adobe AIR (it came installed by default on a new computer).
    You should remove the old version of Adobe Reader.
    I'm not sure what the latest Adobe Reader is up to. It needs a lot of patching. I also removed Adobe Reader and replaced it with Foxit, making sure Foxit opened all my pdf files before I uninstalled Adobe's Reader.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds