Printer sharing from workgroup to domain

Discussion in 'Software' started by JJJIrish05, May 23, 2007.

1. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

Hi, im working with a printer that is connected to a computer that is using a workgroup/lan for file and printer sharing. I need to find a way to let computers in our office that are using our domain to use that printer. We do not want this computer to be connected to the domain because it is a public computer, but we do want a few of our front desk associates to be able to print to this printer because it is the only print on the main floor.

So I'm not sure how to do this. Obviously if you try to add a printer and have it search the network it only comes up with printers on the domain. So please tell me there is a way to do this.

Also, all computers are using windows XP professional with service pack 2.

Thank you all very much in advance!!!!

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Share it on a computer then go to start run \\pcname or IP. When the share appears right click the printer and connect.

3. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

do i want to do that on the same computer that has the printer on it?

I tried it on the other computer and i could not access the one with the shared printer on it using the way you said to....

should that still work even thought the computer that doesn't have the printer connected to it is the the domain asdf (not really but thats what ill use) and the computer that does have the printer connected to it is not part of the domain asdf..... but they are connected to the same hub etc.....

like i said earlier we dont want the computer with the printer hooked up to to be part of the domain asdf because that computer is a public computer and asdf is used for all our office computers.....

so did I maybe just do something wrong? or how else can i hopefully do this?

4. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

bump.... anyone know if this is even possible?....

5. foogoo

Right you have to share the printer on the PC it is attached to.
    Start > Settings > Printers & Faxes
    Right Click and select Sharing.
    Click in Share this printer and apply.

then on the PC on the domain that you want to use that printer with you'd pull up a run box and type the \\pcname of the pc that the printer is attached to & shared from.

Then explorer will popup and show the printer - you right click and select connect.

pcname is an example you need the name of the pc sharing the printer. Under System Properties > Computer Name.
    Right click MyComputer and select properities then Computer Name Tab.

I've used shares on PCs that are not part of a domain - the printer will not be listed in the directory if the PC is not part of the domain.

6. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ok... tried that... go this message:

\\pcname is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Access is denied.

Problem there is I am an administrator on the domain and I have the login for the administrator for the computer with the printer connected to it. So i'm guessing I have to change something on the computer with the printer on it so I can connect to it the way you described. My question however is what do I have to change or enable?

7. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

8. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

9. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

bump :-/

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

you probably need to have the exact same login on both computers and have accessed them at least once....then you should add those permissions ...

11. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

I can't have the same login on both computers though.... one computer is on the domain and the other computer has the administrator account that I use on there.... So any other way of getting access to that computer?

12. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

OK, so some people were compaining about me having two threads about two different problems that happened to be on the same printer..... so heres the other problem.... even though i dont think they have anything to do with each other at all....

So I need to know how and why the front desk can be printing to this printer when I dont want it to.... but I can't print to that printer when I wants to.....

So, how do I keep the front desk from somehow printing to this printer?

And since I can't add this printer when its shared what do I have to do on the computer that the printer is connected to to allow me to connect with the computer so I can see the printer and add it to the computers that I do want to be able to print to the printer....

So two problems.... doubt they have the same answer.... but I really need to get both of them answer....

Thank you much!!!!!

13. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

bump :( confused

14. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

Ok, I'm now desprerate. I now have a deadline on getting this up and going.... So anyone that can tell me how I can get this printer up and going on the network?

I guess the other option is I could just set the printer up as a stand alone printer but I've never done this.... So if someone can give me some instructions on how to do this??? Its an HP LaserJet 4250 PCL 6

15. foogoo

Does the printer have a network card (jetdirect)? Goto Hp and download their management software or use the front buttons and give it an ip.
    Then on the PCs go to add printer, select local printer DO NOt detect... then
    Create a new port, select TCP/IP & next put the IP in there and continue...

16. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

ok..... so they don't want me to set it up as a stand alone printer..... so can anyone tell me what i have to do to access the computer with the printer hooked up to it?

when i try to access it by doing the \\pcname or just by finding in my network places it says:
    "\\pcname is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Access is denied."

So can anyone tell me what i have to do in order to allow myself to access this computer......?

17. velociraptor101

velociraptor101 Private E-2

you said it was a standalone computer with HD not a terminal right? drop the firewall on it and the way your trying to do it might work. btw on your share settings on the printer set to all (i think it'll only show up if they're looking for it ie. going through explorer to that particular computer and adding it to their printer list, netowrks are funny like that).

18. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

A friend of mine finally helped me through this... pretty easy but I had never done it this way before.

When adding a printer I went to the 2nd option, the one under "Find a printer in the directory", it says "Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this option and click Next):" then i just typed in \\pcname\printername and that worked just fine.

very easy.... but i hadn't done it before... and the example they gave was \\server\printer and that confused me..... but thanks for everyone trying to help!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds