newbie starting out and totally confused

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by kramasha, Aug 2, 2008.

1. kramasha

kramasha Private E-2

I am totally new to the virtual world and pretty ovwewhelmed by all the information. Where do I start getting to learn the basic nitty gritties about the pc. All the help and suggestions will be appreciated.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

welcome to the forum where you can ask any sort of question and will receive a sympathetic reply.

This may help you begin
    http://www.learnyourpc.org/

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

4. Valde15

Valde15 Private E-2

Hi I am new, just registered a few minutes ago. I am a 64 year old oldie, and trying to learn as much as I can. Right now, and the most important reason for joining is to see if I can get help from the experts that can share no-how, or teach me some more. I tried to add this page tp my favorites, and I got an error message, labeled "Restriction". This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer, Please contact system administrator.
    I am the system administrator, as far as I know. And I have a link on my destop for administrative tools, but I do not know what or where to check or look for. Please help me. Lost,
    Valde15, oor012@msn.com

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  5. LauraR

Hello and welcome :)

So you tried to add Major Geeks to your favorites?

Have you added other websites with no problem?

Also, what Operating System are you using (Windows XP, Vista, etc)?

If you still have the option, please take out your email address as it could be harvested by spammers (not members on this board, but others looking for posted email addies).

6. Valde15

Valde15 Private E-2

I can add other websites with no problem, only Wierd.com and Geeks.com. I am using windows XP Professional, Service pack three. I am with Qwest for internet provider, and I contacted them, and they say they have no control over use of restrictions, for me to contact Dell.com for assistance. I tried to check the administrative folders, and started some services that were not enabled or started, but I did not correct the problem. I was tempted to ask for remote assistance, but I do not know anyone and I am afraid to trust somone I do not know. That is why I decided to join This group. I felt more confident with Geeks.com.

7. foreverice

foreverice Private E-2

Several possibilities Valde15. It is a possiblity that it might be spyware or malware related. I am willing to bet it is probably not. It might be an anti-malware or anti-spyware program with IE lockdown functionality that is keeping any changes from being made to the browser. I also read that there may be a restrictions entry listed in your registry that is keeping you from making changes as well.

Here is a link I found to a Microsoft forum topic similar but not the same as what you are experiencing.
    http://search.microsoft.com/results...0=Search&FORM=QBME1&l=1&mkt=en-US&PageType=99

If you are using IE7 and are still unable to get the favorite to save. You can try setting all the settings under the security tab within internet options to default. If that still does not work and are willing to go further you can reset your web browser to default by going to the advanced tab and clicking reset. When you do that you risk losing saved form data and recently typed URL's.

Hope this helps some.

8. Valde15

Valde15 Private E-2

Hi Foreverice,
    Thanks for the reply, most helpful. I also noted that we live just across the tracks from each other.

I clicked a link that took me to a software download,named, Malwarebytes Anti-malware. I installed the program, updated it, and I ran a scan which triggeredd a blue screen, restarted PC, and program stopped a second time with another blue screen, "Problem detected" KERNEL_INPAGE_ERROR" with a technical string of many zeros . I do not know if I should try to scan it again.

I also got a note printed and on my desktop from:Shadowputerdude, Safe Surfing" I thank him for the help.
    ??????
    Thanks, Valde15

9. LauraR

Hi Valde15

I'm not sure if you are saying you've figured out your issues, or if you have more issues. LOL

Your best bet if you do have issues still is to post them in the Software Forum.

Shadowputerdude is a member here. :)

If malwarebytes is causing a blue screen, I would recommend not using it. If you think you are having malware issues, please follow this guide from beginning to end (which includes malwarebytes, i believe): http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

10. Valde15

Valde15 Private E-2

Hi Laura,
    Thank You for the quick response and help.
    I am using windows XP Professional SP3, along with SpyBot, Super Anti-spyware and Norton Internet Security. I also clicked the immunize button on the SpyBot scan I did two days ago. I need to check the internet option settings for restrictions, if I can locate the taskbar that lists the Internet Explorer setting options.

11. LauraR

In order to do that, right click on a blank part of your taskbar and then left click on Menu Bar so there is a check next to it. :)

12. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

To check the security settings, go to tools / internet options / security and set it all to default....close down the browser and then open it back up.

Do you still have the problem?

Some virus programs could make MalwareBytes falter....did you download it from MG's?

To rule out malware on your system...please go here:
    Start a thread in the malware section with the requested logs and some info as to what problems you are having. :)

13. kramasha

kramasha Private E-2

:cry My pc now has a icon in the tray which says I am a victim of software counterfeiting. Windows genuine advantage notification.
    Now what to do. I don't have any support cd.

14. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

Hi Karma.
    You would be advised to follow the instructions Tim gave in the above post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds