one computer has significantly slower connection than the other

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by someruke85, Jan 2, 2009.

1. someruke85

someruke85 Private E-2

Ok here's my setup: I have dsl internet through a modem in my bedroom that hooks up to a wireless router in the same place. My laptop communicates via wireless, and I also have a desktop that is on the other side of the house that connects via 50 feet of ethernet cable.

My desktop has a great connection. It burns through internet pages, is great for online gaming, and streams around 250kbps, with downloads usually between 210 and 240kbps. My laptop on the other hand sometimes has trouble with web pages and can only stream at 100kbps or less, usually between 50-70kbps, with download speeds usually between 60-80kbps. My router is a linksys wireless-g, and I have a wireless-g card in my laptop. The signal strength is always pretty much at max, and I have the problem even when I'm in the same room as the router. Is there some setting I have neglected somewhere that lets my laptop communicate at a decent rate?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The problem is that wireless will never give the same results as hard wired because of atmospherics (if it's raining you get a better speed)[​IMG]

3. someruke85

someruke85 Private E-2

Yes I understand that and I never expected to get the same speeds as my hard wired computer, but at the same time I have many friends and co-workers who enjoy alot faster speeds than me. It doesn't seem to vary AT ALL with the weather or any other condition. I mean c'mon, it's less than half the speed my desktop gets.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds