Computer keeps shutting down in games, please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amorgan02, Jan 23, 2005.

1. amorgan02

amorgan02 Private E-2

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm new to forums so if I stuff up or don't make sense please forgive me.

For a while now my PC has been shutting down instantly during, and only during, game play. It seems to happen on all games and sometimes after 1 min and sometimes over an hour. What happens is the PC just shuts down instantly and restarts. There is no error message from windows about it not being shut down properly.

I have had loads of opinions on the problem from overheating, driver problems, ram problems to not having enough power supply etc... Unfortunately nearly all of these have been eliminated by recent upgrades. I changed my 5900 Ultra for a Winfast 6600 GT graphics card, have bought a Thermaltake 550W PSU and have moved into a Tsunami Dream case. Temperature is def not a prob now, I have the latest drivers for the graphics card & power is there in abundance!

I'm desperate for help as I cannot seem to solve this problem and it is ruining my enjoyment of the great games about.

The other spec I guess you may need:
    Winfast K7NCR18D Pro motherboard
    Athlon 3000+
    Windows XP with SP2 with all the updates available
    1gb of Elixir Ram (PC came with 512mb but I have added another 512mb)

Only other bit of info that might help you. I downloaded and ran a 3D Mark test to give my new graphics card a run for its money and it was fine until the part where it came up with "CPU Testing" or something along those lines and it shutdown then. I have not yet managed to finish a 3D Mark test, that seems a pretty sure fire way of getting it to restart

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, sorry this is so long.

Cheers people,

Alex

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Your CPU is overheating. I would bet my left one on it. Your problem is TEXTBOOK overheat. Make sure the fan on your CPU is working. If you have an 3000+ you need a MINIMUM of 4.5k rpm to stay cool under load( on top of a good sink). 2500 isn't going to cut it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to system properties, click on advanced tab.
    Click on Settings, under Startup and Recovery.
    Uncheck automatically restart, under system failure.

Post the stop error message next time you crash.

Oh and Kodo?

Keep the left one, just in case ;)

4. amorgan02

amorgan02 Private E-2

Hi,

Cheers for the replies.

My ambient temperature is only about 40c. I have a 120mm fan at the front, a 120mm fan at the rear, a 90mm in the side window and a 90mm fan on the CPU heatsink. I didn't think heat would be an issue with the new case?

Adrynalyne, I have done that with the setting and will try and get the error message.

In the mean time I may have found the problem. I downloaded Everest and have run some memory benchmarks. The read benchmark and the memory latency are fine but when I run the write benchmark the pc crashes as usual? I have removed my stick of memory one by one and may have identified a faulty stick. I will have to run some more tests to confirm though and check it is not one of the sockets instead.

Cheers for your help.

Alex

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds