PC Tools AntiVirus 9.0.0.1218 has a name like a virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by NorthShoreSurf, Apr 14, 2012.

1. NorthShoreSurf

NorthShoreSurf Private E-2

genericrevenuewire

PC Tools AntiVirus 9.0.0.1218 download name is SDAV_Online_aff_GenericRevenueWire_207.exe.

NorthShoreSurf

What is the "sd_online_aff_genericrevenuewire_207 (1).exe" ?
    Our database contains single file for filename sd_online_aff_genericrevenuewire_207 (1).exe. This file belongs to product PC Tools Installer and was developed by company PC Tools. This file has description PC Tools Installer. This is executable file. You can find it running in Task Manager as the process sd_online_aff_genericrevenuewire_207 (1).exe. Details
    Product: PC Tools Installer
    Company: PC Tools
    Description: PC Tools Installer
    Version: 1.2.0.109
    MD5: 8F319C5F62534EF3B61486E7FC8E65BF
    SHA1: 517008EC46AB547B91CB6BFEA1FEE0241B18A09D
    SHA256: 76385341798E92439317AF42383EF4A57734B7037ED10EDBF4D3E1D9E1039396
    Size: 3712464
    Directory: %DESKTOP%\\pc doctor spyware\\SD_Online_aff_GenericRevenueWire_207 (1).exe
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Discovered: Mar 18 2012
    Occurence: Low oc0.

2. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I guess I'm failing to see the issue with software developed by PC Tools having the description of PC Tools Installer. You were expecting it to, what, be called some other company's name? I also don't see anything in what you've copied and pasted that would lead me to believe it was even remotely related to being a virus.

Antivirus IS an .exe file. If your antivirus is NOT an executable file, then you have an incredibly ineffective antivirus program.

*It's very possible that I'm not understanding because it's 3am, so maybe someone who has slept more recently will have a different opinion.

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

NorthShoreSurf, welcome to MGs. :)
    As Sgt. Tibbs, mentioned the .exe is an installer for PC Tools AntiVirus 9.0.0.1218.
    What is your question? Did you scan the installer with another AV. VirusTotal lists thee Avs that flag.
    https://www.virustotal.com/file/763...4a57734b7037ed10edbf4d3e1d9e1039396/analysis/

A false positive I'll say as the MD5, SHA1 & SHA256 (cryptographic hash functions) file size and path are ditto. Listed in VirusTotal and below too.
    http://systemexplorer.net/db/sd_online_aff_genericrevenuewire_207 (1).exe.html

Watch for this thread to being moved to the software forum.

Cheers..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What AV app listed this as malware?

If PC Doctor then you need to re-assess your malware protection. Then installing two anti-virus applications at once is not a great option as both will likely fight each other and cause PC slowness or random crashes as both will be fighting to cure all PC ills.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds