restoring files from MS backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by kiat, May 21, 2008.

1. kiat

kiat Private E-2

Hi,

I recently had to replace a dead hard drive and for once in my life I had a backup. Hold applause.
    I've reinstalled windows and restored the backup files (.bkf) using the windows restore wizard. Problem is...none of my settings are as they should be, OE store folder is in the wrong place, desktop and other settings are not active. Clearly - I did the backup wrong in the first place...but is there a clever way to fix this now?
    K

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I have never used Windows own backup so I can't help you there but I will suggest you buy something like Acronis True Image to backup your system instead. Its pretty easy to use and gives you the option to create a bootable Restore Cd when you first install it, that lets you boot to the cd, if you can't get into windows, to restore an image you created on another partition, hard drive or dvd disks. I still use the old version6, its all I need for now but version11 is in the stores at this writing.

3. kiat

kiat Private E-2

Thanks for the tip. I've managed to piece it back together. Now the install is a bit of a mess though...

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. kiat

kiat Private E-2

Sorry that must have been me - I didn't realize that I had posted twice...
    K

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds