Computer slower.....and slower...and

Discussion in 'Software' started by fastback, Jan 25, 2005.

1. fastback

fastback Private E-2

My problem is this, when I turn my computer on it works great for 1 hour and 15 minutes, then it gradually starts to slow down more and more and more, with the mouse cursor skipping and not responding, and music skipping and hesitating, same with games. If I reboot the computer, I am once again good for another 75 minutes........any ideas?????? I have had this problem for a long time, much much longer than the about blank problem. Thanks.

2. fastback

fastback Private E-2

Might I assume this is not a common problem????? Judging from the replies.....

3. skipper

skipper Private E-2

you probably need more ram...i would clear out the start-up programs..stop/disable non-important services....clean up your hard drive of stuff you dont need..do a scandisk with automatically fix errors...defrag your hard drive..reboot after doing each step and let windows load up completly dont rush each step let the computer do its work in between these steps...im sure other people can add-on to these steps..good luck..let me know how it goes please=)

4. fastback

fastback Private E-2

Thanks skipper! I am a bit of a computer dumba@#. How do I check the start up programs and get them out? Thanks

5. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

I was thinking that you might have a memory leak in one of your programs running. What OS are you using.

When you first start your computer take note of how much ram you have free. Use your computer until it starts to slown down considerably and take note of your ram again. If you have very little free ram left then the problem may be that you simply dont have enough ram or there may be a program that is using up the ram and not releasing it once its done.

The memory leak is unlikely in newer operating systems but i had that problem with my windows 98 a few years back. This small program i had just ate up my ram after a few hours. It was only after i unstalled the program that i realised that it was causing the problem.

6. fastback

fastback Private E-2

Well, as a matter of fact I am using Win 98SE. I do have 512 Ram, I will check to see how much is avail at start up. Hoe do I check it once computer slows down? Thanks!

7. fastback

fastback Private E-2

Ok, so apparently I dont know how to check to see how much ram is being used. I told you I am a computer dumba@#

8. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

I havent used win98 in years so i dunno but if you download this small program
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download338.html

it will tell you what ram you have.

run the program and click on the memory button.
    It will tell you the ammount of memory you have "Physical Memory" and the amount of memory you have free "Free phisical mem". Make note of both of these values after you boot and when your computer is very slow. Post them when you have them. I might be back online later im not sure but ill ge back to you when you can.

9. skipper

skipper Private E-2

i havnt used win98 in while too..if its like xp follow these directions..if you want to see ram go to start>accessories>system tools>system information...if you want to see what start-up progs are running..go to start>run>type msconfig>go to start-up tab and uncheck all that you dont need>click apply>click ok>restart your computer..let me know if this helps...good luck

10. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

if you right click on "my computer", it should show you how much ram you have available. i've always used rambooster, and it works great!! there really is not substitute for more ram, but it does help out alot. less reboots for me.

anyway, here's the link if your interested. it'll tell you how much is currently available, and what it increases it to, after running. however, i only use it as needed, don't let it run by itself.

http://www.download.com/RAMBooster/3000-2086_4-1400043.html?tag=lst-0-1

11. fastback

fastback Private E-2

Will do. I have 512MB RAM, and when I ran the report I had 79MB. I will post the numbers at start up and then when it slows way down...THANKS!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds