Audio has stopped working!

Discussion in 'Software' started by macer, Aug 20, 2010.

1. macer

macer Private E-2

Hi,

I have an up and running computer from E-Machines and the audio has stopped working. I have made no system changes or installed anything new. I started getting some virus warning roughly around the same time the audio gave out. The infection was kindly dealt with on the thread below.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=221260

I've attached an Everest Report. I have tried to deal with the problem myself by downloading the latest Creative SB Live! driver from this website but it did not solve the problem.

Please help!

Attached Files:

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

it might be helpful to disable the onboard audio if you are using an add on sb live card.

after that, get driver sweeper here: http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

use it to remove any/all sound related drivers. including onboard and creative soundblaster ones. be careful not to remove anything else.
    reboot, and try again to reinstall the proper ones

3. macer

macer Private E-2

Hi,

I tried the steps below but the audio is still not working.

Any other suggestions?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Which audio are you trying to use? The SoundBlaster card or the on-board? If you're trying to use the SoundBlaster, as suggested above by thesmokingun go into your system BIOS by pressing either F1 or F2 or Del right when you power up and see the EMachine logo. You might have to poke around a bit until you find the the on-board AC'97 audio - set it to Disabled, save your settings and exit BIOS to reboot. Then, once your in Windows go to Add/Remove Programs and remove any sound drivers listed. Then restart the PC. If none are listed, go to the Device Manager (right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager) and go to Sound & Game Controllers, click the little plus sign and see if the SoundBlaster is listed. If it is, then we know the drivers are installed. If you see any exclamation points ! or red Xs, then download and install the 3rd item listed at this link. Also, be sure you have you speakers powered on, turned up, and plugged in to the correct jack on the sound card. I have dealt with sound issues where the only problem was that the speakers were plugged in to the microphone jack! If the jacks are colored, use the green one. If they aren't colored, look carefully at the symbols etched in to the card for one with an arrow pointing outward thru the "waves" (if you have one of these cards, you'll know what this means ;) ). Let us know how it goes!

(IIRC, the SB Live drivers are 'built-in' to Windows XP SP3)

5. macer

macer Private E-2

Yes, I'm trying to use the soundblaster. I disabled the onboard audio in the bios. I removed the soundblaster driver with the Add/Remove Programs feature. I restarted and the system recognized the card as SB Live!. I tried following the link provided but it just takes me to the general support welcome page so I'm not sure what the third item listed is.

My speakers are plugged in properly. As I said in my original post this is a computer that I have been using for some time. Everything has been working fine up until a short while ago.

Please help!

6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Check under services (Go to Start, then Run - type in services.msc, and press return). In the list that appears, make sure Windows Audio is present, running (started), and is set to automatic.

If not, post back. It's an easy fix . . . sometimes virus activity or even poorly written software can damage the registry, including the part that pertains to audio devices. Without this service running, audio devices will not work at all or not well.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  7. macer

macer Private E-2

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just a quick follow on from Spad's post in that in Service and Windows Audio, click the Dependencies tab and then click the + next to each dependant service, and then look for them all in the Services list and make sure all of those are Started and Set to Automatic, if one Depencency Service is not running the cascade effect can/will make another Service fail.

Also as you have had malware on your PC, its possible it crippled another part of the audio driver in the Microsoft UAA driver, but as you have SP3 you cannot re-install this, need to follow the below

9. macer

macer Private E-2

Thanks for the continuing support. I follow the instructions and still my computer says there is no audio device and it will not allow me to select anything for a default device. The only place where I had to deviate is updating the UAA driver. The link didn't work for me so I downloaded a file for KB888111 on CNET.

Now when I select my SB Live card in Audio Controls under the Hardware tab it says "this device is working properly". I'm pretty sure it said it was missing a driver or the driver is corrupt before. So at least I'm making some progress thanks to the replies.

Any other suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds