So simple, but I'm stumped!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MG_Nut, Dec 10, 2005.

1. MG_Nut

MG_Nut Private E-2

Got a router, new workstation, old laptop, and another workstation. All cabled on a workgroup. All pc's can see the internet, no problem. but the old laptop cannot see any network. !! It cannot even see itself in its own workgroup, no matter what I name the workgroup!! :mad: Yet the other 2 workstations can see each other no matter what I rename the workgroup to.

I've missed something on this laptop, I dunno what and it's drivin me NUTS! I've been on this for like 2 hours now.

The laptop is on XP Pro with NO service pack, that's not going to matter right? It's Also using Norton Antivirus 2003, which just drives me nuts anyway, :p is there somethign in there that I missed? :(:confused:

Please help. Any suggestions welcome please.
    Thanks in advance.
    N.

2. mPK

mPK Private First Class

have you enabled file sharing? lol simple but may help...

if you goto start > run > type in \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and press enter where (xxx.... is another computer on the workgroups ip) what happens?

is your network driver installed properly?
    any conflicts in device manager?

can you ping the other computers from the laptop? can you ping the laptop from the other computers?

3. _dinsdale_

_dinsdale_ Corporal

Can the other two machines see the laptop?

Also make sure that the XP firewall service is disabled on all machines,
    and the Norton firewall services are disabled. Your router shoud be providing you with the firewall you need.

dins

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds