missing files in folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by charco, Feb 4, 2007.

1. charco

charco Private E-2

Hi there, anyone know a solution to this problem?

I've got a folder on my hard drive that used to have files in it (I know, I put them there!). The windows explorer now shows no files but when I try to delete the folder it says "cannot delete, folder not empty" OWTTE.

I tried the MSDOS environment to look at the folder contents but it also seems to be empty and it wont let me delete the folder either.

I am operating windows XP II

I would either like to access or see the missing files or delete the folder.

Any ideas?

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Click Start.
    Open My Computer.
    Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    Select the View Tab.
    Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
    Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
    Click Yes to confirm.
    Click OK.

3. charco

charco Private E-2

this was the first thing I checked.

I have all the files unhiden including system files but still the missing files do not actually appear

4. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

What type of files were they?

The only thing I can think of is they were incorporated into the OS and the file path is recognized by the OS as being in use so it will not delete the folder.

This might get rid of the folder if you like but I would like to know what is happening.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Unlocker_d4660.html

5. charco

charco Private E-2

they were audio and video files yknow mpegs, mp3, wav etc

6. charco

charco Private E-2

no ideas folks?

7. manmachine

manmachine Private E-2

Maybe you caught a kind of rootkit. Persistent rootkits work by changing API results so that a system view using APIs differs from the actual view in storage. Rootkits hide themselves from the system, try to scan your HD with tools that detect registry and file system API discrepancies, like this one. Let us know if it was positive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds