Wireless Routers/cards - which is best?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lanik42, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Lanik42

Lanik42 Private E-2

I looked and looked, and didn't see a similar thread. Obviously, I could have missed it. I think this or a similar thread would be great stickied.

I was on the verge of buying a D-Link DI-624M Router & DWL-G650M PCMCIA card, when I saw some reviews that said the dlink wasn't as good as linksys or netgear, etc. I'm looking for a 108Mbps capable setup, with pretty good range.

What wireless setup would you recommend?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I would stay away from 108mbps unless you are truely in an area that there will never be interferance with other Wifi Networks, or Ham Radio. 108 uses multiple streams and can end up being an annoyance then anything.

Zyxel is the best out there in SOHO, with Linksys being the best in consumer grade routers. Dlink & Netgear I would stay away from due to the problems with the Aethros chipset.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

/Hijack-ish/ Question.... what problems does the Aethros chipset on the Netgear/Dlink cause? *just curious*

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I'd recommend Linksys - all products.
    Belkin - routers and pci cards only, not the pcmcia cards
    Netgear are ok, just slightly overpriced (in my area anyway)
    DLink I've never had problems with, maybe it's just you...

5. Lanik42

Lanik42 Private E-2

I don't think I'll have a problem with the 108Mbps, as I'm in a country-ish area. I would guess though, that if it became a problem, you could disable the multiple streams and stick with standard 54 though.

I've been using D-link products for years, and have never had a problem, but obviously not wireless. And I didn't really like the netgear I've had experience with, but that was mostly because it was a 802.11b with less than a 20 ft range.

Any more opinions out there? Not devaluing those stated, just want a consensus.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

For one, on the Dlink 624 series, it has a nasty habit of rebooting itself once powered up, that is why I have junked mine for a Linksys WRT series router.

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Barricade would be the best choice here.

9. Lanik42

Lanik42 Private E-2

Thanks browniz, mcadam and Cat5e. You've been a big help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds