PC screen keeps ‘blinking’ – it goes on and off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ppkk, Apr 2, 2005.

1. ppkk

ppkk Private E-2

My PC seems to be overheated as whenever I use any DVD-Rs, they come out warm to the touch. So, I sent in it to have a new fan installed.
    Now, my PC screen keeps ‘blinking’ – it goes on and off, and I get a black screen every few seconds or so. It’s worse when I open a webpage with many pictures on it. It seems to go blank each time a pic. appears. But even when I am not on apage with pics, it sometimes goes black, too. It's quite unnerving.
    I scanned it with Norton and Iparmor - no virus nor Trojan detected.
    Please help. Thanks a lot!

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

first off, when you burn a DVD the discs are going to get hot, that's perfectly normal ... and a fan isn't going to fix that

check the monitors power plug and make sure it is in the socket snugly ... as well as the connection between the monitor and your PC

your screen saver wouldn't be set to "blank" would it?

3. ppkk

ppkk Private E-2

Hi Pyrate
    Thanks for responding.
    To clarify, I get a completely black screen.

Screensaver is Windows Xp.

Checked the monitors power plug - it is in the socket snugly
    the connection between the monitor and your PC - ok

Sigh...

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

wait ... does the PC crash? or does it blink like as of you changed the resolution?

5. ppkk

ppkk Private E-2

Just scanned with Microsoft AntiSpyware beta 1 - removed a Cydoor.

PC is still ok - hasn't crashed.

It just goes completely black for 1-2 secs. and then it's back on again
    Happens even when I just click on something on a webpage or even on the toolbar.
    Happens even when I do nothing at all. :eek:

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

try reseating your video card ... and make sure the connectors(on the video card) are clean

also you might try jiggling the connectors(between the monitor and PC) to see if there is a bad connection

I'm thinking there is a loose connection somewhere .. but finding it is the problem

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

do you have a CRT or LCD monitor?When it goes black can you here a click from the monitor if its a CRT?Does the black look like the black when the monitor is off,or when the screen has a black image on(turn out the lights in the room to check).Does the power light on the monitor flicker?Do you have the latest drivers installed for your hardware?Is the video hardware accelleration enabled fully?Could you list more of your system specs,gfx card,mobo,mem and the current service pack you have installed.TX ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds