accidentally removed my Realtek High Definition Audio driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by zoloftgranny, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoloftgranny

zoloftgranny Private E-2

While trying to fix a Direct CD problem I mistakenly removed my audio driver. Now I can't find which driver to re-install. I am running on Windows XP Professional Version 2002 service pack 2. I know that it is a Realtek High Definition Audio Driver.

2. srinireliance

srinireliance Private E-2

3. srinireliance

by the way re-start your system after installing it..

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

5. zoloftgranny

zoloftgranny Private E-2

Wow.....thank you whoever you are. I can't believe I wasted so much time trying to figure this out by myself. Now that I have your attention...maybe you can also help with the original problem that let to my mistake. About 3 weeks ago I started getting a balloon message from the bottom left of my computer about my Direct Cd Driver. It says...Devices or applications disabled. Direct CD will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows has prevented these drivers from loading. Click here for details. I am then sent to,....Direct CD Roxio. Inc.
    Issue description. A drive is installed that causes stability problems with your system.This driver will be disabled. Please contact drive manufacturer for an up-date that is compatible with you version of Windows. They give a site for an available patch.... http://www.roxio.com/en/jhtml/xupdate.jhtml?locaion=update
    When I get there I don't know which patch to get.

6. srinireliance

Hi mate,
    what software of roxio have you installed before. please go into add or remove programs and check whether a software with roxio tag attached to it. we can fix it instantly.

7. zoloftgranny

zoloftgranny Private E-2

Nothing in my add/remove programs...but when I hit the balloon message it refers me to this......

DirectCD
    Roxio, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Description:

A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows.

Contact Information:

Available Patch: http://www.roxio.com/en/jhtml/xpupdate.jhtml?location=update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note:This information is subject to change.
    © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use.

So from that I deduced that Roxio was the manufacturer.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Looks like you have an old registry entry or some kind of adware causing that message.
    I followed that link last night and could find no patch.
    Run CCleaner, both cleaner and reg tools.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

Then run Spybot.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html
    See if that helps...... I would advise looking into the malware forum "read and run me" if Spybot finds anything.
    READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

This is the MS solution to your error message:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294479

9. zoloftgranny

zoloftgranny Private E-2

My butt is starting to freeze. I've been sitting here for 4 hours trying to follow your instructions. Nothing has worked thus far. I still get the balloon...and by the way my E drive is NOT working properly. I can play a CD and hear it...but I can't put in a CD that I've put photos on and see them. Something about UDF reader ???? They used to work until this problem started. I can't even get them to play on my Dvd player anymore. It is like something changed their format ??? I will be very upset if I have lost all of my photo discs.
    I tried the Microsoft solution but I don't have any Easy CD Creator listed in my programs.
    I feel like I should just take the computer into a repair shop. I only got it in May.
    I should also mention that my husband is getting the same message on his PC that is linked to mine. argggggghh !!!:

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Can you do this when you get the message?
    Click to select the Don't display this message again check box, and then click Continue.

Did you ever have any Roxio software?
    Did you have any photo or CD/DVD software that you have uninstalled about the time this started?
    What software did you use to put your photos on CD? Are you still using it?
    I don't know much about UDF readers, but there is software that will help you recover those pictures. (They seem to have been written in that format by whatever software you used)
    This is thread with the same problems that seems to have been resolved.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=80796

11. zoloftgranny

zoloftgranny Private E-2

Well, I'm not sure which of your solutions worked...but I no longer have the balloon message. I can play DVD's and videos that I have recorded, however many of my photo discs are not readable. Some are...some aren't ????

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Some types of cd/dvd burning software use a UDF format and can only be read by software using that format.

13. zoloftgranny

zoloftgranny Private E-2

I really couldn't tell you. I just went to explore and dragged them from my pictures file to the CD in the E drive. I have been doing it that way for years. I have probably 10-15 photo discs that are fine. It is just the ones that I tried to access during my recent problem. I do recall (now) a message coming up about my computer already running a 5.??? version with UDF and something about installing or upgrading something and then a yes or no option. Isn't that helpful at this point....sorry. Any ideas on how I can fix these useless CD's now ?

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm not sure if this will help. I have been told IsoBuster is a great application for retrieving hard to retrieve things off of disc. This link will take you to their site. When you DL and install it, you will be asked for registration, click use free. I don't know if the free version will allow you to retrieve your photos or not, but worth a try.
    http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php

Edit: I was able to use the free version to extract from a disc that I can't play. Right click on the item and then choose extract, then tell it where you want it to go.
    Not sure if this will help if the files are in UDF format. I'll do some more looking.

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is another app that allows you to try it free. It also recovers files off of CD/DVD in several formats. It looks like all the apps I can find are either trial versions or pay to use.
    http://www.diskinternals.com/cd-dvd-recovery/

These last two apps will help (I think) if the files were written in UDF Format but if the problem is as below, this might help you.

Some CDs burned by Win XP cannot be read.
    Microsoft has acknowledged various problems with the inbuilt software that can result in files (or sometimes whole disks) being unreadable when they have been burned with the inbuilt software. See MSKB 320174. They have posted a patch on the Microsoft Download Center, which may resolve the issue. (Click here to go directly to the patch download page.) It is recommended, though, that you only apply this patch if you are actually suffering from trouble, not just “because it is there.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds