PDF won't save

Discussion in 'Software' started by CatT, Jul 17, 2011.

1. CatT

CatT I can't follow the rules

what does it mean when a PDF opens in a browser window with "save" and "save as..." greyed out?

MOST pages save just fine, so it's not like my freebie versions of acrobat/foxit etc have this disabled or anything. but occasionally a page has these two lines greyed out.

at present, i see it on a rebate form CUSTOM GENERATED from data i input. so it's not like it is some copyrighted "do not download" page or anything. in fact, the page is TELLING me to DL it and print a copy!

luckily, i figured out a kludge using "save target as..." on the link that sent me there. but if THAT works (as it did!), why can't the file ITSELF save from within?!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Disable opening of pdf's in browsers, just save them and then open them in your pdf reader.

3. CatT

um....if i could "just save them", i wouldn't be asking how to SAVE THEM, now, would i?!

:confused

4. satrow

Think about it.

5. CatT

:confused

there's nothing to think about. if there is a link taking me to an actual pdf "file", i can save it -- AS I DID -- using said link/addy.

if, otoh, the PDF is "generated" from some sort of javascript nonsense, there is no sort of obvious "address" that i can isolate. maybe you can; i cannot. been thru "view source" till i'm blue in the face, and i just can't reverse engineer how to get a PDF link out of all that "do createInvoice..." stuff.

nor how to get a downloader (orbit, say) to intervene correctly.

FoxIt and Adobe can no problem -- doing it in-place in the browser -- but on those rare occasions that they grey out the SAVE options at the same time, well, then, what next??

there also is no URL bar in these cases. two sides of the same coin, i suppose -- FoxIt/Adobe isn't seeing any underlying "file" to offer up for saving.

6. satrow

As you seem to be unwilling to post a link to the pdf's you're having problems with, we can only guess at what your problems are.

How about checking with the specifications for pdf files, you may be able to work out where your issue lies. There's a link to the 756 page document on the page here.

7. CatT

sigh. was my last post invisible?? -- THERE ARE NO "LINKS"!!!!

just some "generate invoice" "view acct" "print screen" type buttons which create PDFs on the spot. short of installing some sort of "intercept software" (like with print-to-file), i dunno how to direct the output anywhere else BUT to the pdf window which pops up.

right click>>properties on such buttons does NOT reveal an actual pdf "link"; rather a bunch of javascript code a la "do popup" "generate invoice" etc etc.

believe me, if i *HAD* a link, i'd have never started this thread!

8. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

You're viewing this "rebate form" in the browser, right? What's the url in the address bar?

9. CatT

10. satrow

Riiiight ...

So the pdf's just appear in your browser each time you turn your computer on, eh?

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

If you cant be polite in helping then just dont post. Seriously show respect for fellow forum members. Sorry Cat i have no other ideas for ya.

12. CatT

no, when i click on "generate invoice" "view acct" "print screen" or the like.

sorry, i do not have the javascript expertise of everyone else here. if someone could tell me how to FIGURE OUT the "link" from all the code, i'd be most obliging. didn't THINK i was being rude, but i have said 4-5 times now that there's no "link".

if i'm wrong, i'm wrong, but don't just keep asking me "what's the link"!! :-o

donch'all have the experience that you need to click on a folder name or album header to open it, whereas right-click "open in new window/tab" is not available b/c it's doing some weird javascript thing? right now in hotmail, for example -- in the old days i could "open in new window" any single folder i wanted; and indeed, could see the underlying URL by doing a hover on the link in question. nowadays "open link in..." is greyed out, and a hover just displayes "doPopup" or "readInbox" or summat.

i don't think what i'm describing is so rare as to warrant these responses. surely you guys know "buttons" (heck, PRINT SCREEN!) which need to be clicked DIRECTLY b/c they somehow GENERATE the resultant page rather than "linking" to it, old-school.

13. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Sorry, missed that some how. How about a different approach?
    As I understand it from another thread, you have doPDF and PrimoPDF installed.
    When you're viewing this "rebate form" what happens, if anything, if you press the [Ctrl]+[P] keys?

14. satrow

Ok, you've managed to quote Hotmail as an example of scripting having changed over time. Could you please supply us with a further example with pdf creation involved, preferably from the site you're complaining about, so that we can all check what you're referring to?

15. CatT

i am hard pressed to come up with examples, since they mostly derive from view or print buttons inside "accounts" of one form or another. but here's ONE i've noticed elsewhere: http://www.math.utah.edu/~palais/pi.pdf

in this case, i DO have a URL bar, so it's easy to DL by plugging it into orbit, etc. but the default view of it inside the browser does, in fact, have "save" and "save as..." greyed out. WHY?!

^P yields the print preview popup, whence doPDF/primoPDF seem to work just fine.

16. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

What PDF reader does your browser use to open it?

I use Foxit within Firefox, and that link has the save button working just fine.

17. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds