Computer in constant "sleep" mode...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thieu, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Thieu

Thieu Private E-2

Hello,

I moved this past weekend and as I was plugging up my computer in my new place, it fell off the desk onto the carpeted floor. At first glance, only the chip fans took a hit, as some blades were broken, creating a loud rattle. I got new ones and now the computer turns on but that's about it. I don't get a response from my mouse (no lights), no keyboard and no monitor (the light blinks as if it is in sleep mode...

Looking around in the case, nothing appears broken. The harddrive is spinning as it should be.

What should I try? I'm at a loss...

Thanks

2. N5638J

N5638J Guest

did you try resetting the processor and the pci cards/agp card/ram and so on? and whats the spec's

3. Thieu

Thieu Private E-2

hmm... you're not speaking my language...

I seems that the video card isn't getting power... the fan on it isn't coming on. I'm guessing it's the same problem with the mouse/keyboard.

It's a dual processor 1.8 AMD that I got from my dad's company about 3 years ago.

Don't know much else beyond that...

How do I reset all that stuff without having a monitor/mouse/keyboard...

teach me I'm ready to learn

4. N5638J

N5638J Guest

lol i missed typed you need to resit the video ram pci card's and so on because that maybe your problem just unplug the computer open her up and take out the PCI cards, video card, ram and processor and thin put them all back in the same spots and plug her back and power up and see what happens

5. Thieu

Thieu Private E-2

I had a friend of mine who was CS major help me out tonight.

We basically tracked it down to the video card being screwed up, causing the computer not to boot up.

When I take the video card out and turn the comp on I don't get a beep as it should. When I do the same with the memory, it beeps.

We tested a bunch of other stuff and everything seems to check out.

I'll try a new video card and we'll see what happens.

6. Thieu

Thieu Private E-2

I got a new video card.... and still nothing...

So I'm left with the motherboard... or the processors.

btw... the processors are AMD 1.8 x2

the motherboard is an AMD 768.

I might grab an AMD 760 for a new motherboard... if that doesn't work... I'm officially at a loss...

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

A drop from 6-12 inches creates enough g-force to make the harddrive heads contact the platter,so a drop from a 3ft desk will do it,check the hd out.

Also a sharp drop can break the the solder on any part of the pc so it can be very hard to pin down.If you look over the back of the mobo you might see some broken joints,but its a needle in a haystack! :rolleyes:

8. Thieu

Thieu Private E-2

hmm... this is what I'm fearing... my harddrive might be dead.

I got a new motherboard, new videocard... the hard drive spins, but it won't boot (no monitor/mouse/keyboard), and it just beeps at me.

I'm at a loss...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds