Cannot connect to internet on networked PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skrebs, Mar 2, 2005.

1. skrebs

skrebs Private E-2

Help! I have 2 PCs set up on a wireless LAN. The 'main' PC (PC#1) runs Win XP and is connected to a Netgear DG834GT wireless router/access point via an ethernet cable to the PC's NIC. The second PC (PC#2) runs Win98 and is connected to the wireless LAN via a D-Link adaptor. The wireless LAN is running fine and I can do file transfers between the 2 PCs without any problems.

Here's the problem: I cannot get PC#2 to connect to the internet no matter what I try! I can ping PC#1, the router and my ISP's DHCP servers and routers from PC#2 so I know it can get to the WAN. I've gone into Internet Explorer options on PC#2 and configured the settings to connect over a LAN (using the configuration wizard) and I've tried unchecking and checking the boxes in Automatic Configuration/Automatically detect proxy server. No luck!

I've read several forums where the issue seems to be a corruption of the TCP/IP stack and teh solution is to uninstall and reinstall the stack. This might be the problem, but I'm not convinced yet since the LAN connectivity (which uses TCP/IP) is fine.

Can anyone help??!! Thanks!

2. skrebs

skrebs Private E-2

Please note that I have fixed the problem. I found and ran a utility called Winsockfix and it solved my problems!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds