NTLDR missing error

Discussion in 'Software' started by ekhan, Dec 25, 2006.

1. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Hello i've just moved my computer from my basement to my living room and when i turned it on the computer wouldn't boot up it would tell me 'NTLDR is missing Press any key to restart' I've searched the forum and found the site to fix it but i wasn't sure i was doing it right i pushed in all the cables from inside the computer but still not working. So i got another hard drive installed windows 98 se (using currently) and im wondering if i can use the hd with windows 98 to edit the NTLDR missing thing on my other hard drive??
    Is that possible

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Short answer is no.

How to repair NTLDR Missing

Please print out these instructions so that you can operate with All Browser Windows CLOSED.

1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to restart the computer.

2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the Windows XP installation.

3. Press C to repair the Windows XP installation by using the Recovery Console.

4. Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER. For example, type 1, and then press ENTER.

5. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.

6. Type map, and then press ENTER. Note the drive letter that is assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM.

7. Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after you type each one, where drive is the drive letter of the drive from step 6:

copy drive:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy drive:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

If you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: In these commands, there is a space between the ntldr and c:\, and between ntdetect.com and c:\.

8. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    type c:\Boot.ini

A list similar to the following list appears:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If you receive the following message, the Boot.ini file may be missing or damaged:
    The system cannot find the file or directory specified.

9. If the Boot.ini file is missing or damaged, create a new one. To do so, follow these steps:

a. Use a text editor, such as Notepad or Edit.com, to create a boot loader file similar to the following boot loader file:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

b. Save the file to a floppy disk as Boot.ini.

c. Type the following command at the Recovery Console command prompt to copy the Boot.ini file from the floppy disk to the computer:

NOTE: If you used Notepad to create the file, make sure that the .txt extension is not appended to the Boot.ini file name.

copy a:\Boot.ini c:\

10. Type exit, and then press ENTER. The computer restarts.

If you don't have the XP CD then you can boot from the XP Startup Floppies and enter the recovery console. XP Sartup floppies are available from Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

3. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Oh thanks, i think it'll work now because i used a Windows XP Home Edition CD to enter the recovery consule is that alright or should i make the xp start up floppies?

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

You don't need the floppies if you have the XP CD.

5. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

I have Windows XP Pro on the NTLDR missing computer but i don't have an xp pro cd only a home edition cd so would that work as well?

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

You can try, and if it doesn't work then create the startup floppies for your version of XP, disk 1 is the only one you need.

7. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Thanks for all your help hope this works

8. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Horray i got a new error !

Now instead of the computer telling me ntldr is missing it shows this:

Trap 0000000D =========== General Protection Fault ============

tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3=00000000
    gdt limit=03FF base=00017000 idt limit=07FF base=000017400

cs:eip=0008:2FFF3066 ss:esp=0010:00060E7B errcode=0000
    flags=00010013 Cy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
    eax=00000F44 ebx=00000004 ecx=00000005 edx=00000000 ds=0010 es=0010
    edi=00070000 esi=000000A1 ebp=00000000 cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

How about Safe Mode?

10. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Yeah it's impossible to enter safe mode because this error comes before the start-up screen and everything else

11. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

I don't think this can be fixed, because i was googling for an hour and couldn't find a solution. I guess now i have to reinstall windows xp pro? If i do i dont have the bootable cd so can i partition the hd with win xp pro on it and install windows 98 on the second partition and install windows xp over the 98 se and when the cd is done finishing the first part of setup to make windows xp setup boot at start-up can i use that to re-install win xp pro on the first partition??

12. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

anyone got an ideas?

13. Shadow_Puter_Dude

No, WIndows XP can not be installed in that manner. 98 has to be the first OS installed on the first partitions of the HDD, if you are going to do an upgrade. I thought the only CD you have is for Windows XP Home not Pro?

14. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

Yeah i only have xp home bootable my pro is not bootable sorry didn't mention that. Anyways i got windows xp back up, i have 2 hard drives in my computer 1 is (c: 3GB Win 98 master) 2nd is (d:20GB win XP pro slave) how can i get rid of the 3 gb and still make the 20gb bootable to windows xp i know the pins and everything i can make the 20gb a master but it wouldn't boot up to xp though rite? so how can i make it so that i only have a 20GB hd installed and it boots on xp, do i move the same 3 files to d: and unplug the 3GB?

15. ekhan

ekhan Corporal

sorry for double posting but i didnt get windows xp back up frm the previous one i had to format and reinstall

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds