Problems logging into certain site Win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by CCTEK, Apr 9, 2011.

1. CCTEK

CCTEK Private E-2

I am having a very frustrating problem with logging onto certain web sites using win 7. Such as espn. Local newspaper. I try to login with new PW and it just goes back to login screen. So I tried on my other pc that has Win XP and yes I was able to login to any site I wanted to. So I have narrowed it down to Win 7. I am also running Norton on both systems.
    Yes I am using EI9.
    Any Help would be great
    :)

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Windows 7 is very unlikely to be the problem, you need to check the settings of IE9 and also Norton, I think one of those is most likely to be at fault.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As Satrow mentions I doubt Windows 7 is the issue as itd more likely browser or add on issue, so a few things to try are...

1. Boot into Safe Mode with Networking (F8 at boot) and see if you can connect to the site.

2. Try another Browser as in say Firefox or Opera, and see if they are the same.

3. Diable your Norton to test its not the cause.

4. CCTEK

CCTEK Private E-2

Aha... I always have trouble with my settings when I install. Thx very much for the reply. What do you suggest for IE9 and Norton...?

5. satrow

Work through DavidGP's suggestions first, it'll gives us more clues about where the problem lies.

6. CCTEK

CCTEK Private E-2

Yes, It was EI9. After I compared my norton & Security settings with my other PC. It didnt help. Then I changed browsers. Wahla,,,Thx everyone for all the help. Its been driving me crazy for some time now. Now since I cannot stand firefox...to many junk wigets that just wont go away. So I tryed Opera...A bit better. Guess I just have to get used to the whole different format. What is the general opinion on which browser is the better one. I cant stand google and will never download chrome again since it took me forever in regedit removing anything that has to do with google.
    Im so happy :) Thanks a bunch ...Happy tek. Now I nee to go to my other post and figure out how to do a restore on win7..Norton was free, but it maybe causing me more headaches than I need. CCTEK out...

7. satrow

Try K-Meleon browser for a while, it'll do all the basics and a lot more, configuration on the fly (just change settings/refresh the page) is good. Highly configurable, it's been my default browser for a year or so now.

8. CCTEK

CCTEK Private E-2

Ok I am back to IE9. What I did do in order to get my email for a website that I used to log into was
    I did a repair on the pst folder ...

You will have to navigate all the way to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 folder and search for SCANPST.exe file.

Good thing I have the other PC. I experimented on that one first.
    I also diabled a security setting on win 7 that is one of those useless settings.
    I just couldnt let it go.. Couldnt get use to firefox or opera and wasnt crazy about
    K-Meleon browser. Although K-Meleon browser was quite nice and simple. But I just got used to IE9..Guess Im a EI slave ho. Thx everyone for all the input and help
    :)

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cheers for the update, yeah some sites are not fully IE9 compatible, but what you could try is to click the little icon (its circled in red in option 2 at the below link) and see if the sites behave any better.

IE9 compatability options

Also what you can do is to also run IE9 in its no addons mode (just type into the Start Search box Internet and you should see a Internet Explorer (no addons) option) and see if they sites work ok, if they do then you have an addon thats causing this, so open in IE9 Tools > Manage addons and then click Toolbars and Extentions and disable all nonMicrosoft ones and then restart IE, if all ok then enable one non Microsoft addon at a time and restart IE and so on until you find the addon causing your login issue and disable it, but also let us know what it was.

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

:confused What junk widgets? There's not a great difference between the standard Firefox Menu bar and toolbars and those of IE.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds