at what point (if ever) is it appropriate to bump?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by mdpeterson42, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mdpeterson42

mdpeterson42 Private E-2

I posted a question that has not gotten a response in five days and is now on page 9 of the topic. should I leave it and assume it will get an answer, or should I remind people that it exists?

thanks!

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

3. mdpeterson42

mdpeterson42 Private E-2

thanks for the quick response Lev!

Yeah, I read the forum rules, but I just wondered how long one should wait for a response before re-asking the question. I mean, if two weeks go by without a response, one should just continue to wait?

as for the two posts, I believed them to be two unrelated problems - the SP3 issue began weeks ago and I believed it was my lack of having the CDs that caused the problem. The other issue arose last week and I did not think it was related. I also thought I had found a fix to the SP3 problem. It wasn't til what I thought was a fix didn't work that I asked for help for that separate issue.

I apologize if the two posts have caused confusion

4. shorttex

shorttex Private E-2

So... if one's questioning post is not answered, then what? Try a different approach... or what?

Yes, I read the stuff... it says with regard to bumping IIRC "you may edit if the timer hasn't expired"- but that's worthless, given that the timer is set for (a moderator said, I believe) five minutes. No one is going to pseudo-bump a topic in five minutes (or even a few hours, I reckon), so never mind that one, it doesn't address the issue.

Say you pose a question, and days pass, no one responds at all. Perhaps you haven't been clear about your problem, perhaps you wrote a crappy title or one not related closely enough to the problem. You can't edit the original; monitors say you can't respond to it yourself, regardless of what you have to say about it. As far as I can see, you only have two choices: you can assume that no one at MajorGeeks (either monitors or members) either knows or cares about the problem and fuhgeddaboutit, or you can post a new message with a better title and/or a better description of your problem (although that appears to be categorized as "bumping") - or is there some other alternative?

Or perhaps you solved the problem with help from elsewhere or by means of your own skill and daring, and you want to let readers know that it's fixed so there's no need to respond. Do you post a response to that effect and run the risk that the monitors are going to gripe you out about bumping or keep checking forever to see if someone resopnds and THEN tell them "never mind", or just ignore any responses, or what?

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you have additional information.....if you feel that a bump may help to refocus ....this is not a criminal act. Sometimes the people who may be able to assist may not be on for a while and bringing the issue back to the forefront would hopefully assist you. I promise I won't whip you. :) I frankly can't think of anyone who has never bumped ....it is just not a wise thing to do in the malware forum.

6. mdpeterson42

mdpeterson42 Private E-2

Thanks Tim! I appreciate the clarification. I really was trying to not bump because:
    1) I don't want to be obnoxious - you guys will get to it when you can
    2) the rules say not to
    3) it will hurt me :)

I will consider adding another update because something else has now happened that I am going to assume is related.

Thanks!

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You may need to consider a trip to the malware forum. :(

8. mdpeterson42

mdpeterson42 Private E-2

yeah, working on that too!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds