Could not start the Print Spooler service on local computer --

Discussion in 'Software' started by Electro-User, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Electro-User

Electro-User Private First Class

My computer is a HP laptop ze4600 running Win XP home service pack 2

Here's what happened:

My Lexmark 2200 printer was working fine. I just finished printing a job then decided to install the new software for the new DSL package I just received from SBC/Yahoo DSL. I Connected the cables and modem etc then started the CD and started the software installation. The software never completed installation and hung just before the installation was complete. It hung for over 30 minutes and at that point I decide to "forget this" I need to go back to work and finish another print job. As I have a lot of print jobs to print for work next week.

When I tried to print I got the error "Printer spooler service is not running"

I have tried alot of things since then. I tried starting the print spooler but it was already running (started) I tried turning it off but it would't let me.
    I removed all printer software/drivers and tried to reload but that didn't work. I called SBC customer service and they couldn't help me. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he finally admited that their DSL software CAN/MAY conflict with "Win XP service pack 2"!!! Gee thanks a lot SBC/Yahoo for screwing up my computer, and now I will be a Smuck when I can't produce my presentatikon materials for work next week. Thanks for considering that many users have Win XP service pack 2.

so now here is where I am at:

I can't complete loading my Lexmark software and drivers. The installation won't complete.
    When I try to start the print spooler I get this message:

"could not start the Print Spooler service on local computer. Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start"

When I try to install the printer software/drivers I get this:

"Operation could not be completed"

I have went to the microsoft support site and followed the instruction below, but can't get past 'E' below. I can't stop or start the print spooler. I don't want to play with the registry as I don't know what I am doing.

PLEASE HELP if you can as I am away from home on business and DO NOT want to reformat my hard drive etc because I have a lot of software loaded on my machine and the original CD's are back at home.

Thanks in advance. :)

--------------------------------------------
    From Microsoft support site

• When you click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes to try to view your printers, no printers appear even though you have a printer installed. If you click Add a printer, or if you try to print, you may receive the following error message:

Operation could not be completed.

As a result, you cannot add a printer.

CAUSE
    This issue may occur if a third-party printer driver or a third-party service that is installed prevents you from adding printers, or if the third-party printer driver or the third-party service affects the functionality of a newly installed printer.

For example, this issue may occur if the Lexmark print service (LexBce Server service) is installed and is running on your computer before you try to add another printer.

RESOLUTION
    Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    1. If the Lexmark print service is installed on your computer, turn off the LexBce Server service. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    b. Expand Services and Applications, and then click Services.
    c. In the right pane, right-click LexBce Server, and then click Properties.
    d. On the General tab, in the Startup type list, click Disabled.
    e. Under Service status, click Stop, and then click OK.
    f. Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Start (if it is stopped).
    g. Quit Computer Management.

2. SGC_Geek

SGC_Geek Private First Class

Did you ever complete the installation of the new SBC/Yahoo DSL package?

3. Electro-User

No I removed it. I found out later I didn't need their software and could connect without it.

Their software is no longer on my computer.

4. Electro-User

I also tried to restore my computer to a previous restore point/date but that didn't help either.

PLEASE HELP if you can

5. SGC_Geek

SGC_Geek Private First Class

I went to the Lexmark website for information on the Lexmark 2200. That turned out to be less than helpful. I was going to suggest updating the printer drivers.

Regarding the presentations you will be giving next week, will you be back at the home office? You could move the presentations to a file server and print them from another workstation.

6. Electro-User

can anyone help me correct this?

I need to get the print spooler started. It won't start.

Is there anyone here that knows how to get it started when it doesn't want to start from >computer management> services> print spooler

???????????????

7. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

QUOTING Electro-User
    I can't stop or start the print spooler.
    END OF QUOTE

It cannot be started then why do you complain about stoping also?

Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start"

Try to enable some of your other disabled services that you feel may be the problem.

8. Electro-User

The main problem is the spooler wouldn't START.

I have found that even through I removed the Lexmark software/drivers that the LexBce file still remain and has to be removed manually.

Being that I wasn't geting any answers here I went elsewhere and found that the registry was corrupt.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds