Windows won't ID only new pictures on camera

Discussion in 'Software' started by lilliana, Dec 14, 2014.

1. lilliana

lilliana Private E-2

Up until now, when I connected my camera to the computer (Win 7/64) and clicked import using windows, the program would identify only the new pictures that I'd taken since the last time I imported them.

Tonight, it finds all the pictures on the camera.

How do I get it to find only the new pictures?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

What camera do you have (make and model), is your Windows 7 at SP1?
    Do you use any software to manage images or have you installed any new software to manage pictures recently, if so what?

Does your import wizard start when you plug in the camera (as in Autoplay) or do you right click the camera in Computer and choose "import pictures and videos"? if you do then do you get the option below, if you do then try clicking "import all new items now"

[​IMG][/url]

3. lilliana

lilliana Private E-2

DavidGP,
    Camera is Olympus 6.1.
    I'm not sure what SP1 is.
    No new software of the type you asked about.
    The camera shouldn't matter, since windows always before only picked up the new pics for importing.
    I hook up the camera (USB) to the computer.
    Autoplay brings up the options.
    I've always selected "Import pictures and videos using Windows."
    Before, the "wizard" (not labeled as a wizard) would come up and ID just the new photos.
    Now it sees all the photos on the camera, including the ones that have already been transferred to the PC. I don't want to take the time to download the several hundred when I didn't have to before.
    I don't know what you mean when you ask if I "right click on the camera in computer," but when I click on the Import pics using windows icon, the option screen that I get doesn't offer the option of importing just new pictures, although I guess it must have in the past.
    So something happened, but I have no idea what.:(

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

SP1 is Service Pack 1, its a major update to Windows 7, you can check HERE

On right click, its that in the root Computer folder you see a set of icons for hard drives and devices, the camera will show as its a portable storage device and you can right click it and choose from the context menu - import

What software do you use to view pictures, is it the in-built Windows Picture Viewer or something else? *just trying to see if something else has taken over the management of importing pics from the native built-in Windows method.

Do you save the pictures directly to the Windows Pictures folder or a different one, as the Windows Pictures folder is a library location in Windows and can have different options.

Been trying today here at home with 3 different cameras and a Phone to see if I can see a cause.

5. lilliana

lilliana Private E-2

OK, it shows I have SP1
    When I did what I think you said to do next, I found a device that it shows is my camera, but when I right clicked, I got a dialogue box that had details, none of which were import, nor was import listed on the other 2 tabs on that box.
    I'm using Microsoft Digital Imaging 10 to view the pics.
    I went ahead and changed to the Windows Picture Viewer and made it default, but that didn't change anything--it still wants to download every picture I have on the camera.
    I'm not sure where they're being saved. Since I never get to where it'll download only the new ones, I never get that far in the decision process.
    :cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds