iTunes question

Discussion in 'Software' started by cssc, Dec 15, 2014.

1. cssc

cssc Guest

I've a got a 160GB Apple IPod classic. In addition to loading my songs I want to put my language learning & self improvement audios on there. Is there anyway to get iTunes to separate these from the music list so they dont' start playing while Im listening (like if I'm just playing it from iTunes alphabetical 'songs' list, or 'artists' or 'albums') or will I just have to load all my music onto my own 'music only' list to avoid this??
    Also I live with someone who got a 20GB iPod & I hate his music. Will his iPod automatically have a separate library when he plugs it in so we don't have to go through all the checking & unchecking songs?
    I ahve disabled autosync.
    Thank you.:)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

If you are using the same PC Windows account and iTunes then your main music library will be the same music, so in order to separate out your music from theirs its best to create a playlist of your music and you could also do this for your audiobooks and when wanting to playback on the iPod just use playlists to choose music or audiobook, should work that way ok.

This way when syncing with libraries you just sync what's in your playlist and not in the main library.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12340

3. cssc

cssc Guest

Is it possible to have another iTunes download? We could put one in the external drive & then he would have his own? Would the computer allow this?

4. cosman25

cosman25 Private E-2

I would set up two user accounts on the Computer. One for you and one for him. As long as he syncs his iPod logged in on his user account on the computer the music librarys will stay separated without the need of another iTunes install (which isn't really feasible anyways)

As far as separating out your self help books I would do like David suggested and create a Playlist for music and one for Audiobooks and play from those playlists and not your full library.

5. cssc

cssc Guest

RE: playlists. Yeah that's what i didnt' want to have to do, but oh well. Sometimes I like to play 'albums' or 'artists' so the order of the songs is changed.

We like it when we don't have to screw around with passwords at start up. IT is stupid of iTunes not to let us do multiple users, isn't it? i guess I should go yell at Apple.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As mentioned two user accounts is the only way to really do separate music on separate Apple devices, unless you go the playlist route, but I know that's not ideal.

Indeed that's a bit of why in reality Apple is behind others, for Windows Phones and Xbox music, it doesn't matter what or who's phone is plugged in you just highlight in an explorer like list or drag and drop music to the phone.

Only alternative I can see that "could" work for you is MediaMonkey and you'd just need to aim the app at the default location of the iTunes saved media list, then one manages their music etc on iTunes and the other on MediaMonkey, you'd just download music via ITunes and use MediaMonkey as a manager for one device.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds