Firefox vs Chrome streaming Fox shows

Discussion in 'Software' started by df04624, Dec 16, 2014.

1. df04624

df04624 Private E-2

We want to use Chromecast to watch TV shows and possibly replace Dish. I have Chrome with the cast extension on my Vista Home Premium running on an Intel Core2 Quad Q6660 and Chromecast is quite jerky even in standard 480 mode. I decided to stop casting and just try the video in full screen on my PC. It buried all 4 processors and was still jerky. I then decide to run the video in full screen using Firefox and it ran fine at less than 50%. I couldn't find a Firefox addon or extension for Chromecast. My PC doesn't meet the requirements for Chromecast and before I buy a Chromebook as a cheap media center for Chromecast I would like to understand why Chrome is acting this way on my PC and will it run better on a Chromebook? I do use Serviio and it plays just fine, but I don't have plugins for it to watch the network sites we are interested in. Thanks.

2. df04624

df04624 Private E-2

Looks like my problem is related to pepper flash included with Chrome. If I turn it off and use Adobe flash, streaming to my PC is fine but Chromecast won't work. If I turn off Adobe flash and enable pepper flash, I get jerky video in both Chromecast and streaming to my PC. Guess a hardware upgrade is in order.

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

what version of flash player are you using?

4. df04624

df04624 Private E-2

This is from by chrome://plugins

Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 16,0,0,235
    Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
    Name: Shockwave Flash
    Description: Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
    Version: 16.0.0.235
    Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\39.0.2171.95\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
    Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
    Enable
    MIME types:
    MIME type Description File extensions
    application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
    .swf
    application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
    .spl
    Name: Shockwave Flash
    Description: Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
    Version: 16,0,0,235
    Location: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_16_0_0_235.dll
    Type: NPAPI
    Disable
    MIME types:
    MIME type Description File extensions
    application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie
    .swf
    application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie
    .spl

The words "Enable" and "Disable" can be clicked to enable the pepperflash or disable the adobe flash. It doesn't indicate their current status.

5. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

You are using the latest flash player. Just thought I would check

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds