WerConCpl.dll error

Discussion in 'Software' started by jools1976, Dec 17, 2014.

1. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 tablet/netbook running Windows 8.1. For the most part it works ok, but if I leave it unused for any more than 12 hours or so (turned on) then I get multiple (25 or more) error windows that pop up saying:

There was a problem starting C:\Windows\system32\WerConCpl.dll. The paging file is too small for this operation to complete.

If I try and close them new ones just keep popping up. If I restart the computer it's fine again. And it doesn't happen if I am using it, only when it sits idle. Anybody ever come across this?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you adjusted the pagefile settings at all?
    I would try setting the pagefile (virtual memory) to system managed if not already.

I think you may need to review the system logs in Event Viewer as that dll is part of Windows Crash Reporting, I would be tempted to do a PC clean-up and in Disk Clean-up delete all "per user archived error reports" and "system archive error reports" and reboot and see if you get the error again.

I mention Event Viewer as in System or applications logs you may find a red error note that could link to a faulting application that is causing that file to error.

3. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Pagefile is set to System Managed, and I have recently run a full clean which didn't come up with anything out of the ordinary. The event viewer on the other hand has multiple multiple errors. Everything from Dchp-Client to Kernel-Event-Tracing to DeviceSetupManager. Way too many to list. The time stamp on most of them is the last crash (about 10 minutes ago).

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

jools1976...

Is the hard drive close to being full? This is the only thing I can think of.

I have seen situations where a running app can cause the system to believe the hard drive is almost full. Free space erasers can get stuck at the end of a task causing this problem. This happens because the erasure process is actually a write process (1s and 0s)...

5. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

It's at about 75%, so full but not rammed.

6. AtlBo

Jools 1976...

I guess that leaves three options that I can think of:

1. Startup program is causing trouble
    2. Corrupted OS installation
    3. Hardware (disk or RAM) problem

To test startups, boot to safe mode to see if the problem persists. For a corrupted OS, start by running chkdsk /r to see if that brings up any issues. Follow that with a sfc /scannow. Testing hardware will involve creating a boot disk for running memtest86+ and one for your hard drive manufacturer's test for hard drive health.

There are some good programs that will give you a look at the SMART data for your hard drive. Might be something there to point to. Disk errors in event viewer, likewise, are an indication of a failing hard drive.

I don't have it installed, but I think HWiNFO shows SMART data for drives. There is actually a portable version here:

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Didn't see the portable version here at MGs.

7. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Ok, so chkdsk fixed a few things but seemed to run ok. When I ran sfc /scannow I got the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

There's a lot of stuff in the log file and I'm not really 100% sure what I'm looking for.

8. AtlBo

jools 1976...

OK...do you know how to zip a file into a zip folder? If so, zip the CBS log. Once it's zipped, come back here to MGs in this thread and click reply. Look at the bottom of the reply page and find the manage attachments button and click on it to open the upload dialog. From there click on one of the 5 available slots and upload the zipped CBS log, so we can take a look. Then post your reply with the attachment.

One way to start with a log like that is to go to Edit->Find->type in error and then go down the file taking a look at what shows up as an error.

9. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

The entire log was around 3.5 MB, and the upload limit for MG is 2 MG, so I only took the stuff that was from today (the log went back to yesterday). If you need the first half let me know and I'll attach it separately.

Attached Files:

• CBS.zip
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
  10. AtlBo

I am beginning to wonder if this is a heat related problem. If you can take the back of the tablet off, maybe an indirect blast using a can of compressed air might help clear out any dust inside. Don't know if this is something you can do with this type of unit.

This is a weird bug. I am tempted to say it sounds like Windows is filling the page file with errors (Windows Error Reporting-i,e. C:\Windows\system32\WerConCpl.dll) over the course of long sessions. Otherwise, maybe someone with more experience with laptops can point you in the right direction. Maybe the pop ups are one for each failed error report?

I will Google around some more about this this evening.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds