Recommendation for Antivirus software

Discussion in 'Software' started by yamatosoul, Dec 19, 2014.

1. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

My subscription to Norton 360 is about to expire soon, and would like to ask the experts on this forum for a recommendation. I understand that Norton is not the top choice for the folks on this forum, and wanted to know what would be my best choice (I am willing to pay for a subscription). Thank you very much in advance.

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I am currently using Avast free edition.

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I am another vote for Avast free and my 2nd choice would be Avira anti virus free. I currently using F-secure paid which is through my ISP provider as I get a huge discount.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As well as suggestions as to recommendations to a AV, most are good but its your choice as what works great for some may not work for you, try some out and see what one you prefer. I have no issues with and use the built in Defender in Windows 8.1, I do use malwarebytes(free option) as a secondary on demand scan.

However a good AV is not the full answer to protection, as majority of malware is let in by user actions, bad surfing and downloading, so some sage advice is here How to Protect yourself from malware!

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

David has the answer!
    If this computer is only you and you understand how to stay safe you can just run MalwareBytes weekly. This will give you a real speed boost as you will not have a full time malware scanner. If you do not know how to be safe by all means run the protection.

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

yamatosoul...

I run Private Firewall and 360 Total Security on W7 64 and on XP 32. The combination is very good on either.

DavidGP is right that most problems are user choice based, but a good firewall does help make the choices with solid foreknowledge of the outcome. Lots of pop up alerts to start with and always lots when installing a program and running it for the first time. It's all manageable, though. After awhile, it's almost all installs and first runs.

Private Firewall is a good firewall, and it installs at only 8 MB. It's WAY better than UAC + Win firewall. 360 TS is fairly active and at least helps block keylogging and clipboard data theft, although PF does this too. 360 TS is relatively new, but I haven't had a single problem so far after 2 months. Seems to me to run lighter/smarter than avast.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

All I can say about this is that after running Microsoft Security Essentials - now called Defender - and the Windows firewall ever since XP first appeared in 2001, and right to the present Windows 8.1 day, I have not had a single infection of any sort, so have never had any interest whatsoever in looking into alternatives, particularly paid ones. I also use on-demand scanners every few days just to be sure everything is clean. As DavidGP has already said, most problems arise from choices made by the user, and these are not limited to which sites to visit, but are also about not clicking on unsolicited links, or opening unknown email attachments, not loading discs or pen drives given by others or simply not letting others use your computer, especially in an Admin account. I just completely ignore the hype put out by the commercial producers of security products and trust on my common sense and the inbuilt security features. It has worked 100% for thirteen years, and I'm not going to be changing anything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds