Sound randomly stops playing, videos stop working

Discussion in 'Software' started by CGally81, Dec 19, 2014.

1. CGally81

CGally81 Private E-2

Okay, this has been a problem in the last few days. It wasn't a problem before that.

After a while, for some reason, sound will stop playing in new YouTube videos. Previously opened ones will still play sound, but not new ones. Music playing programs won't play sound, and video viewing programs won't play sound either. The only things that play sound are videos or whatever that's already running at the time. Programs like Winamp, iTunes, VLC, etc. stop playing sound.

Closing programs doesn't fix it. Resetting my computer is the only thing that fixes it.

What causes this? It was not a problem in the past. Did Windows release an update that breaks things?

2. CGally81

CGally81 Private E-2

Never mind. Having 100+ tabs open had something to do with it. As I closed tabs, more programs began to play sound and/or video. Some had to be closed and reopened in order to work, but work they did.

I'd have hoped my 16 GB of RAM would have allowed my computer to not have these problems, but I guess there's more to it than that.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What I would also try as I know you have found a cause in the 100+ tabs open is to do similar with multiple tabs open and check Task Manager for an app with high CPU or RAM usage, may find a cause.

Also update Adobe Flash and Sun Java as those can be problematic at times.

4. CGally81

CGally81 Private E-2

I know all about the "kill whatever's using the most CPU and/or memory" trick, and I employ that when need be, especially at work. I let Java update itself, as annoying as its constant update begging is. Adobe Flash I haven't updated in a while, though, but I use the HTML5 version of YouTube when possible. Anyway, thanks for the info.

5. CGally81

CGally81 Private E-2

It's still happening. Even with lots of tabs closed. Very annoying. Also, Flash is fully updated.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It might be helpful if you posted what version of Windows and what browser you use when opening 100 tabs.

7. CGally81

CGally81 Private E-2

Windows 7, and both Chrome and Firefox (all up to date).

8. plodr

Updates in Windows 7 that caused problems were: Silverlingt 3011970 and root certificates: 3004394
    MS released 3024777 to remove 3004394
    Then later Silverlight was offered again.

Check your update history and see it any of these three updates appear.

9. CGally81

CGally81 Private E-2

Nope. None of those show up.

10. plodr

Then you can't blame the problem on a Windows update.

11. CGally81

CGally81 Private E-2

Of course. I'm still annoyed that this didn't seem to be a problem in the past, when I could run all kinds of things and not have sound or videos stop, but now suddenly I do.

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Does the same happen if you use IE?

Also what make and model PC do you have or if a custom build what make and model motherboard do you have as I would be tempted to see if a newer Audio driver is available.

Boot into Safe Mode with networking and see if you have the same issues, kinda wondering if a 3rd party app is causing this and first place to look is what is in your startup list, can use msconfig to disable all startups and reboot and see if the same happens, if not then enable one startup at a time and test until you notice the same issue.

Possibles are security software, so what do you have installed.

Also with Firefox and Chrome, do you have addons installed, if so start those browsers in safe/no-addons mode and test

13. CGally81

CGally81 Private E-2

While I appreciate the help, the problems seem to go away if I close a bunch of tabs. I'm not too worried about it, since I seem to have headed it off.

I never use IE. Ever.

My PC is a custom build with Intel, Nvidia and other parts. I tried the idea of updating my audio driver, but all drivers appear to be up to date.

I have a few addons to Firefox and Chrome - minimal ones like typing emoji and unicode symbols, though I wouldn't rule out them causing conflicts.

However, the problem is not showing up now, so I'm not too worried at the moment.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds