Problem installing Windows 8.1 on clean drive. Error at Expanding files.

Discussion in 'Software' started by avz10, Dec 21, 2014.

1. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

1. As I had connection problems with a 2TB Seagate external hard drive, I removed my one internal HD (500GB) and replaced it with the 2TB hard drive.
    2. I cleaned the 2TB HD with UBCD 511.
    3. I then downloaded the Windows 8.1 Enterprise trial version from the Windows site and unplugged my other, much older internal HD (160 GB), also a Seagate, in order to do a clean install on the 2TB drive.
    4. I used Rufus to create a bootable USB. I am using an 8GB new USB.
    5. The PC booted and gave me an error message (0X0070003) when it got stuck at Expanding Files (0%) for nearly half an hour; requisting drivers with this type of file: Setup Information.
    6. I opened the USB, and found all the folders, opened and tried a lot, but did not succeed to find the drivers. I then aborted the installation.
    7. I then cleaned the USB and tried “5 ways to make a USB bootable from WikiHow", using command prompt. The same happened. Stopping at expanding files (0%) and requesting drivers, as mentioned above.
    8. So, I am stuck. I can always try to install Windows on the 160GB HD, but as it is getting old, I thought of installing Windows on the 2TB.

Specs of the desktop:
    2.8 GogaHertz IntelCore i5-2300
    Multicore
    2x internal hard drives (160 GB and 2TB)
    Avermedia capture card

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Reformat the USB drive to FAT32 and then use this tool HERE (yes its for Win7 but works fine with the Win 8 ISOs)

Just have the 1 2TB HDD connected during the install, have your Ethernet cable also connected.

I would also boot to the Windows 8.1 install but instead of clicking install I would click Repair your computer and click Troubleshoot > Advanced and open a command prompt and type the following:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot (may get error on this one but continue)
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Then reboot and try installing again.

3. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

Thanks for your response.

I am giving it a go today.

I just want to know about your comment about the ethernet cable.

As this is my desktop, it is connected by ethernet cable to my modem. But I've recently bought a wireless Netgear stick. So, then I connect that one as well? I suppose the reason behind it is, if there is a problem during the installation process, there can be a connection to microsoft???

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Only reason I mention ethernet and an internet connection as during the install, the installer may go online for updates, check licensing, plus that error you have is at times linked to a Windows Update issue. Could be a coincidence but always worth trying out the weird fixes as could just be the fix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds